Author Topic: cough, cough and dead :(  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2010, 11:25 »
Coil could be breaking down as well.

Nick

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2010, 12:01 »
Lol, could be anything! Easy start will confirm spark/fuel.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2010, 09:44 »
Coil could be breaking down as well.

Actually, I think you are right. After trying it the other morning, the fuel pump wasn't priming on either the known good relay, or my older relay. But if I bridged the pins - the pumps were fine.

The fuel pump relay on a K-Jet depends on getting a continuous pulsed input from the coil. Off to check the spark this morning!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2010, 11:59 »
There was no spark, I swapped the coil out for a new one, but there is still no spark (even when using the king lead).

There is a thick green and thin black/red wire connected to the gnd on the coil (a continuity tester shows these to earth)
There is then a thick and thin black wire connected to the +ve on the coil (a voltmeter shows 12v to gnd)

But if I pop a voltmeter over the two points on the coil, there is no voltage?
« Last Edit: 07 August 2010, 12:08 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2010, 15:03 »
This all leads me to think the hall sender has packed in ... loathedly, I'm going to have to pull the dizzy!

Stupid GSF and ECP don't look like they sell the dizzy for an EV! Anyone got the part no. for a 1986 1.8 8v K-Jet Distributor?

Edit. No matter, found one on eBay ... will buy on Monday unless someone thinks it might be something else (or has a test for a hall sender!)

026905206A

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-reconditioned-Distributor-MK1-AND-MK2-GOLF-GTI-/170521048068?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b3d8b404
« Last Edit: 07 August 2010, 15:11 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Alec

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2010, 16:11 »
Mine had these exact symptoms and it turned out to be dizzy cap and rotor.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2010, 16:33 »
Mine had these exact symptoms and it turned out to be dizzy cap and rotor.

I'm testing from the king lead for a spark - surely it couldn't be the dizzy cap or rotor ...

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2010, 19:33 »
I popped a multimeter probe in the middle pin (with the wiring still connected) on the hall sender - the other end on ground, put the IGN on, put the car in 5th and gently rocked the car back and forth, there was no fluctuation in voltage/resistance.

I'd say the hall sender is shot, new dizzy time.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #18 on: 07 August 2010, 20:20 »
Haaa see Spark or Fuel?
Glad you found the issues same as mine Hall sender when you understand the pulse signal and timing it makes sense at that point non?
 :wink:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: cough, cough and dead :(
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2010, 09:52 »
Bought new dizzy, I'll report back in a couple of days complaining about my timing being out :D