This one has thrown me a little, I was driving around the other day, just about pulled up to the house and the engine stalled. It just about started again with enough power to drive the last 10 metres to get on the drive. The engine wasn't that warm, I'd barely done 8 miles.
I left it for a few hours, went to check it (to make sure it would start the next day for work) and it started fine.
Then, on my way home from the office, I got about 0.5 miles before it stalled at the lights. I started it back up with a little bit of fight and got about another 20 metres before it started struggling, to keep it ticking over at the next set of lights I had to hold the throttle at about 2krpm and it was coughing and popping.
I pulled off the lights and then the only thing just about keeping it going was it being in gear, so it would self-bump back into action. I got just far enough to pull over safely.
I had a poke around the engine bay and everything looked in order (no obvious vac leaks), I swapped the fuel relay for another - but it was still the same, there is a full tank of fuel, grounds to the head/gearbox/chassis are clean and tight, battery is full of juice, CO is spot on.
Its thrown me as its never had any engine trouble, so this is totally out the blue. It doesn't seem to be heat related, or in fact, anything related. Given its random-ness, I'm ruling out it jumping a tooth, I originally thought it was a loose ground shorting out.
If I try starting it, I have to hold the throttle wide-open and even then the revs are bouncing all over and it backfires until it stalls.
I'm going to check the aux. air valve at the weekend as it seems very air leaky!
Any thoughts ... ?