Author Topic: Suggestions please for someone to carry out engine tuning to Mk2 16v  (Read 6408 times)

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Thanks for the thoughts on the engine etc

Yes I was prepared to spend £8000 for a mint 16v but no takers - so plan B kicks in

Car is bought but needs tlc on the engine to refresh it + tidy up the engine bay

Externally all is good and internally the driver seat needs attention but thats a cheap fix . New carpets and thats it

Thanks for the idea that I am a "lad" . Sadly way past that

This is my fourth 16v in Oak Green and this time it will be perfect and never sold!

Still trying to find a specialist gargage . Spoke to G Werks and was promised a quotation for work to be done - sadly nothing has arrived so the search continues

I would look for a tidy G60 or Rallye instead give 16'vers to the younger lads 8K will evapourate quickly  :wink: 

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
so just how much do you think a refresh of a stock 16v  would cost then ?  go work it out
« Last Edit: 11 August 2010, 01:33 by danny_p »
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Bieldside

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
I am not after a tyre burner but a standard Mk2 16V Golf GTI that has been refreshed internally, externally and with subtle engine mods/upgrades

The standard Oak Green 16v is a genuine classic car in the making , if not already there

I looked long and hard for a mint example but they don't exist or if they do the owner is not selling

I will leave the serious modifications to others

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Have a word with Shakey from here:

http://studioincar.wordpress.com/

I think he might well be able to provide exactly what you're after.

nick

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
So.... ignoring all of the race engine/ fast road engine gumpf.

You just want a refreshed engine.

It would be an idea to get together a list of what you would want doing yourself, as peoples perception of what is "refreshed" can be completely different.

I.E. my idea of refreshed is splitting everything down and changing over A LOT of parts for brand new components.

Breaking it up into sections would probably be easiest so;

Induction Paths - Airbox, filters, throttle body, isv, maf, etc
Cylinder Head - Camshafts, pulleys, valves, stem seals, valve guides etc
Cylinders - Liners, re-honing etc
Bottom End - Camshaft knife-edging, big end bearing, little end bearings, conrods, piston crowns, piston rings etc
Ancillaries - PAS, Waterpump, oil pumps, belts, alternator etc
Ignition System - Plugs, leads, coil, dizzy, rotor, dizzy cap etc

I could go on, but if you make a list of what would "please" you, then it would also help your enquires on both here and at whoever you approach to do the work.

 :smiley:

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
a good subtle engine build would be something along the lines of what gti engineering did back in the day, eg flowed head on 2.0l block. You could have the engine built up off the car as well and build it with new bits.

Offline Ozz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 690
I take mine to the Phirm in hook,they are the best in the business IMO.
www.thephirm.co.uk

I've used the Phirm before, damn good service and really nice guys!
Mk2 Gti 8v

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
wasent sugesting a race engine for it,  just someone thought my idea of a basic engine rebuild was into race engine money.

for a daily or period restoration  i would proaby build or have built a 1.9  rom the ground up, not the chepest but period engine and it will be as new then
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Bieldside

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Thanks to Agreeable Slick for the suggestions which probably tick the boxes

I will call thephirm and see - lets hope they can sort the car out

Thanks for all the suggestions , much appreciated

Offline Bieldside

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Spoken to thephirm

Very helpful so problem resolved

I will take the car down for them to have a look and decide what is best

Thanks again