Author Topic: Another ISV Thread  (Read 2426 times)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Another ISV Thread
« on: 31 July 2010, 13:30 »
Hi sorry to post about this but a search never revealled anything of help.

I'm lead to believe the ISV is causing my idling issue - I had my golf in at a vw specialist and he done all the usual, checked for air leaks etc which pointed him back to the ISV.

He explained that when the cars started it rev's to around 1500 then drops straight down to 1200 and remains there but nice and steady (does this sound like an isv fault?)

Okay so the question is.... are any of the ISV's currently sold on ebay any good as there a lot cheaper than the ones @ vw? I just don't want to buy one if it's going to be useless! also will an 8v ISV work as I'm lead to believe they have no module?

alternatively is there anyone in the croydon area that could whack their isv on mine to see if the problem persist's?


Regards

Rich.

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2010, 14:42 »
look for 16v idling issue/problem.

take off isv and spray in carb cleaner until its full cover holes and shake about a bit then empty repeat until clear fluid comes out, then allow to dry and refit. also you may have a knackered o ring on the idling screw. remove idle screw from throttle body and clean it and the hole, refit screw and adjust idle to 950-1050.

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2010, 15:29 »
cheers buddy, guess I'll give that ago before buying a new one! :)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2010, 15:35 »
Also will me replacing the ISV/Cleaning it solve the issue with it smelling like it's running rich? as the vw specialist said he's set it to vw spec but it still smells a bit petrolly ?

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2010, 16:47 »
I'm 6 miles out of Croydon you can try mine to see if makes a difference
I have a 8V and 16V ISV, but the 16V was tested and did work before stripping the old gal down.
I'm not selling it to you just helping you out if you need a test part?
Pm and I'll give you my mobile and you can come down fella!
Jay

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2010, 16:50 »
thanks for that buddy, Pm'd!

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2010, 13:56 »
Is your vw spec retarded?  :grin:


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2010, 15:27 »
Could the isv still be chuffed if the isv vibrates and makes a noise like a florescent light when the ignition is on?

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2010, 15:33 »
mine buzzes on ignition then stops, have you cleaned it yet? if not its pointless until you do

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Another ISV Thread
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2010, 08:39 »
Still not fixed yet LOL?
One thing dont tamper with the screw its surprising how many people do it then Feck it up.
Have you clamped the air pipe does it make a difference? :wink: