Author Topic: my radiator didnt fit...  (Read 1545 times)

Offline rowleyslims

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 226
  • hakuna mutata
my radiator didnt fit...
« on: 26 July 2010, 08:55 »
so i bought a new radiator and it didnt fit. it was way to small so i need to make an exchange..

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat_name:Radiators%5C%2C+Cooling+Systems+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Radiators)

what radiator should i get that will fit my car. i thought all the radiators would be the same since they are all marked for a 1992 golf gti (gl) 8v. i was obviously wrong. what one do i need?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: my radiator didnt fit...
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2010, 09:39 »
3 common sizes available, which one did you get?
1.6 8v & 16v - 430mm
1.8 8v - 525mm
diesel & a/c models - 675mm
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: my radiator didnt fit...
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2010, 11:47 »
Is it ok to fit a diesel on to an 89 8v providing you change the pipes or will it knacker the water pump?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: my radiator didnt fit...
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2010, 13:20 »
no be fine, just as you say gotta get the pipes to fit. wont offer you anything though really the std rad is more than good enough
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Cory

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 433
Re: my radiator didnt fit...
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2010, 11:12 »

does anyone know the quantity of coolant a 1.6 radiator holds?   am i right in thinking its 5 quarts?
and also  whats the coolent to water mix?

many thanls
cory

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: my radiator didnt fit...
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2010, 13:46 »
around 6litres, but unless you take out the stat and fully drain the matrix somehow you'll never get all the old coolant out. 50/50 mix works for me :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.