Author Topic: Dismantling 16v distributor  (Read 2095 times)

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Dismantling 16v distributor
« on: 23 July 2010, 10:33 »
Is this the pin that needs to be knocked out in order to get access to the inner seal? If so it ain't for shifting. Any ideas for getting it out, or is this one where I have to give up and replace the whole thing?

1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2010, 10:40 »
thats the one, lots more force and harsh language, if you have a vice that'll help hold the thing still while you bash it one
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2010, 11:00 »
Is it that stuck it won't budge?
You do need something solid behind it to hold the force pushing through RJ suggested a vice and have to agree it might be the best way forward unless you have very small drill bits to take it on seems a lot of grief for one slider bolt?  :grin:

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2010, 11:26 »
No the 'slider' bolt is not moving at all.

I have it all clamped up and am hammering away on a drill bit trying to puch it through, but it's not even budged. Looks like a new distributor is in order  :sad:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2010, 11:40 »
if you had a vice that might do it, fiddly to hold it all in there with the drill bit while trying to squish it in the vice tho
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2010, 11:44 »
You tried smacking it the other end up yeah?

I would suggest taking it off completely, so at least you can get some sort of better force on it? Failing that take it to local garage to get it pressed out properly by someone?

I was going to suggest heat, but the dizzy is a bit delicate and it could f**k it up.But if you have a soldering iron you could hold the end to it and let the whole slider heat up a bit first before spraying that freeze lube then smack that b!tch up?

 

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2010, 12:09 »
I attached it to the edge of a work bench with a G-clamp - not quite a vice, but it held it firm for me. I also put a set of grips lightly around the other end of the shaft to stop it spinning. Then I hammered, hammered and hammered on the drill bit but it didn't budge at all.

I had a go at pressing too, but with the sort of force it was needing, it would need everything to be lined up perfectly straight and I didn't have that sort of equipment.

I didn't try heat - as you said it's a little delicate and I don't really fancy cooking my dizzy, as the car is my daily!

It is well and truly seized.

I've given up on it for today and put it back on the car now



1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2010, 12:32 »
Shame Tony you got defeated by a small slider bolt  :laugh:

You dont fancy drilling it out?  :evil:

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2010, 13:00 »
I had the same problem, it just would not budge. I ended up getting an exchange unit.

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Dismantling 16v distributor
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2010, 17:05 »
You dont fancy drilling it out?  :evil:


Don't tempt me. Some C4 may also be an option :laugh:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6