GolfGTI
Forum Charity
Merchandise Shop
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk2
»
Curious rust with pics
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Author
Topic: Curious rust with pics (Read 2806 times)
jezza16v
I live here
Posts: 981
Curious rust with pics
«
on:
20 July 2010, 16:36 »
Hi all. We have the engine out for a general clean up & refurb and found this rust on the bukhead, seems odd and can't see why it would rust here as there are no water traps and I shouldn't think it gets very wet here. Anyone seen this before or got any ideas as to what might have caused it? Thanks
Logged
The Mighty Elvi
I live here
Posts: 2,403
I'm better than you today.
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #1 on:
20 July 2010, 17:40 »
Judging by the distance between the pairs of holes, all being the same distance apart, I would surmise that they have been drilled at some time.
God knows why though.
Logged
jezza16v
I live here
Posts: 981
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #2 on:
20 July 2010, 17:52 »
I see what you mean but its deffo rust, the holes are only so neat because I poked a screwdriver through them. There were no holes til I wire brushed & scraped it back.
Logged
mk2bal
I live here
Posts: 811
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #3 on:
20 July 2010, 17:57 »
it might be the fact theres no heat shield there? exhaust melting the paint n heating the metal? i hope not though, ive just done a 16v conversion n didnt bother with any of the shielding.sh!t
Logged
Mr Blue
Forum addict
Posts: 6,133
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #4 on:
20 July 2010, 18:01 »
does the heater matrix live behind that area?
Logged
jezza16v
I live here
Posts: 981
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #5 on:
20 July 2010, 18:13 »
I think it does, you could be on to something there...........
Logged
X4MGS
I live here
Posts: 3,564
VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #6 on:
20 July 2010, 19:01 »
Heater Matrix in all encased in a plastic housing isin't??
Been out to look at my F reg 8V which is bog standard and it seems to have the same area of rust behind the DP on the bulkhead...
Guess it couls be a new point to add to the "to Check Area" before buying one...
Logged
High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here
Or
My Ebay Store!
jezza16v
I live here
Posts: 981
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #7 on:
20 July 2010, 19:48 »
Quote from: X4MGS on 20 July 2010, 19:01
Heater Matrix in all encased in a plastic housing isin't??
Yes, you're right, so I doubt it could be that. BTW there's no ally heat shield on this pre 89 8v model, my 91 8v has the ally heatshield to cover the brake pipes. Was this heat shield a later addition or has it just been robbed from this pre 89 one one?
Logged
Thom89
Forum addict
Posts: 4,092
Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #8 on:
20 July 2010, 20:05 »
I would say that someone scratched the paint years ago, heavy handedly fitting an exhaust....
Thom
Logged
Wayne
Sir Postalot
Posts: 32,051
Re: Curious rust with pics
«
Reply #9 on:
20 July 2010, 23:59 »
As above or sometime in the past it has had a water leak.
Missing heatshield will not be helping.
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
« previous
next »
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk2
»
Curious rust with pics