Author Topic: Curious rust with pics  (Read 2790 times)

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: Curious rust with pics
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2010, 08:34 »
Had a really close look at the manifold to downpipe flange/gasket and it seems its been leaking, the tracks show the blowing in the direction of the rust holes and with a leaking head gasket I wonder if its been squirting hot steamy exhaust gas at the bulkhead? You can just see the tracks on the flange from both downpipes on the pic below. The flange is higher up when connected so would line up better with the holes. Likely/possible???  :undecided:



Anyone have a pic of the engine bay with the engine out showing the heatshield? I can see the one on my 90 8v but its dark and mucky down there and I just can't see clearly how its fitted or how far it extends.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Curious rust with pics
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2010, 08:51 »
Had a really close look at the manifold to downpipe flange/gasket and it seems its been leaking, the tracks show the blowing in the direction of the rust holes and with a leaking head gasket I wonder if its been squirting hot steamy exhaust gas at the bulkhead? You can just see the tracks on the flange from both downpipes on the pic below. The flange is higher up when connected so would line up better with the holes. Likely/possible??  :undecided:

Anyone have a pic of the engine bay with the engine out showing the heatshield? I can see the one on my 90 8v but its dark and mucky down there and I just can't see clearly how its fitted or how far it extends.

Yep sounds about right :afro:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Curious rust with pics
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2010, 09:34 »
yeah its because there is no heat shield there.  early 8vs didnt get one as std and all the early 8v GTIs i have worked on have had some rust in this area. don't have to have an exhaust blow or leaky gasket either, though it could accellerate the problem I guess. my mates mint 120k GTI had some bubbling here and his gasket + downpipe were both fine, its just the heat bakes the paint till it starts to crack away then rust.  VW fitted a shild as std here on 90spec 8vs, so they knew about the problem and fixed it.  16vs always had one even on the early cars, plus an extra one up top covering the wiring across the bulkhead.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

VeeDubGTI16v

  • Guest
Re: Curious rust with pics
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2010, 09:47 »
yep, had the same on mine but luckily it was only surface rust. the heat cycles from the manifold would accelerate any rust forming

Offline jezza16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 981
Re: Curious rust with pics
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2010, 10:02 »
Thanks all for your comments. I think I'll get some sheet aluminium and knock up a heat shield before we put the engine back in.