Author Topic: ABF into CE1 - She fliessss :D  (Read 36812 times)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2010, 00:05 »
why didnt you remove the front end?


that would be too easy  :cool:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2010, 01:10 »
i like your new engine!
Why thank you!  :kiss:


why didnt you remove the front end?
On Mk1's, that would require getting the angle grinder out.  :wink:   

Plus, it wouldn't be so much fun sitting in the bay making noises like Vroom, Vroooooooom, VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!
 
:grin: :grin:

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2010, 10:05 »
thats 1 way fo sho! on my cabby i lifted car up in the air with crane and slid engine in from underneath  :grin:
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2010, 13:39 »
Ah Rubjonny I'm glad you popped in, just the person I need to speak to!  :grin:

I've just dropped my diesel tank out, and it's nice and spangley and shiny and clean inside  :smiley:

It a quick rinse-out with petrol going to be satisfactory, or have you any other suggestions?

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2010, 14:09 »
Give it a GOOD rinse with some petrol that is destined for a mower.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2010, 22:36 »
It was real hot today, so not a huge amount of progress (my mind and body slows down in the heat... and I think the large quantities of diesel fumes inhaled probably didn't help much, kept me happy tho!  :grin: )

Tank is now rinsed out with petrol and nice and clean, and my old man has some free diesel for his motor.

Have removed everything of value off the diesel motor, some of it to sell/swap for parts and some of it to keep as spares.

Put a brand spanking new KR clutch on the ABF (to match the mk2 16v gearbox I'll be using, nice short ratios  :wink: ).  Also swapped over a couple of CV joints - had a couple of old mk2 ones lying around which were in better condition than the ones on the Scirocco driveshafts I bough off ebay. (Clutch and driveshafts have been the biggest expense of this conversion so far).

Removed bits like P/S pump off the ABF, attached mk1 driver's side mount (trimmed lower cambelt cover to fit), will be swapping the alloy sump for the reinforced steel diesel one and attaching gearbox tomorrow.

Fuel tank will be going back on tomorrow (with a different level sender, old one doesn't work), and I'll plumb up the GTi fuel pump, accumulator and filter.

Probably won't be lifting the engine in until Saturday afternoon due to work (being a chef means I work oddly-timed shifts), still gotta chop up the mk1 4-branch and get a 16v flange welded onto it... (have already had a flange plasma-cut out for me).

Offline della_mk3

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 61
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2010, 22:51 »
nice work. keep the pics coming :D

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2010, 23:44 »
Fuel tank is back on... now I gotta bolt and plumb up the mk1 gti pump.  So here's my next questions:



Which way does the fuel flow?

Also, should I use the mk1 gti accumulator?  And again, which way does the fuel flow through it?



Also got the filter to plumb in.  What order does everything need to go in?

The plastic diesel lines don't really seem to be up to the job, so I think I'll just use rubber hose (rated for high pressure of course), possibly run through the cab, unless anyone has any better ideas...
Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: 10 July 2010, 19:14 by fishnchipsx2 »

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2010, 21:35 »
You don't need the accumulator.

The banjo end is the pressure side IIRC.

Where's the lift pump?

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline fishnchipsx2

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: ABF into CE1 - Petrol pump+accumulator plumbing??
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2010, 22:19 »
You don't need the accumulator.
So you think it will only benefit a K-jet system, not Digifant?  It's not like I don't have space under the bed for it!

Quote
The banjo end is the pressure side IIRC.
Cool, that's what I'd have thought. 

Quote
Where's the lift pump?
The tank doesn't have one, the feed just comes out the side of the tank (which I've now washed out with petrol and strapped back in place)



I believe most UK mk1 GTi's didn't have a lift pump either (can't find any lift-pumps on them on Vagcat either) , so I think I should be fine.

I'm not one of those people who tends to drive around all the time with 1 litre of fuel in the tank, but if fuel starvation does become a problem, it looks like lift pumps are available from mk1 Cabrios, Vagcat shows this too (pic stolen from random site):


Update coming soon with loads of pics (even though I haven't done much since the last ones)