Author Topic: Bonded Windscreen...?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Bonded Windscreen...?
« on: 24 June 2010, 12:36 »
Hello

This is my first proper post in the mk2 section, so hello to everyone here.

My Golf (G reg 8v, 3dr, PF code, with no other options like PAS EW etc!) is a bit of a running project, and I try to limit how much I spend replacing stuff, until things wear out/break so that I can justify the expenditure, thus I can use it to burn more v-power. Most of its use is just for fun, heading off onto little B roads for 'shake down testing', trying then to improve my driving and/or the car- Im getting close to the point of this post now, hang on- The car is developing along the oem+ route.

So with this in mind ive been thinking about stifness recently.... (inuendo bingo points available there)

Shell stifness in particular. And ive been considering front upper strut braces, tho I dont really want to go drilling one in to my engine bay (Im not looking for a stiff track car, this is really all about experimentation to see what stiffening gives any improvement for what I do)

ANYWAY, my question is this- Can I get my non-bonded windscreen bonded in?

I see from searching the forum, that there may be issues with availability of bonded screens for G60's etc. So is a bonded screen different, in that its designed to be a stressed member? Would my standard screen just crack or is the edge finish different to give the adhesive a key? Will the standard seal cope with the screen sitting up on a bit of glue? (same questions for the rear side windows- were these bonded on G60's too?)

Seems like the potential for a tidy/cheap mod, which probably means im missing something.

Would love to hear the opinions, comments, or even, experience of others.....


Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2010, 13:02 »
AFAIK the G60 screens are different and I guess this is for a reason. The side windows on a G60 are not bonded, only the front screen.

For the hassle I don't think it'll make much difference.

Strut braces are good. Get both upper and lower front ones. Don't be put off by drilling holes. As long as you coat them before fitting the strut brace and add lots of underseal to the inside of the turret tops you'll be fine.

If you're after good handling I'd start with replacing all the suspension and steering bushes. They're bound to be knackered. OE are good, polybush even better.

Nick

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2010, 13:49 »
nope you need a proper bonded screen as its bigger. i dont think swappign the screen on its own will make a massive difference as above, I'd start with the bits as above and work from there.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2010, 14:25 »
Thanks guys, that saves me running down to the local screen fitters for adhesive on sat morning and being told to go away!

Current setup is doing well, Ive got bilstein shocks/lower springs all round and polybushes on the front w-bones, but not the roll bar yet, as ive not decided whether or not to uprate it...  Tho when getting some powdercoating done by a local engineering outfit, they suggested they could bend me a roll bar, and use stainless steel! So i'll be back there.

i'll have a go with a brace some time.....  Got old engine mounts to replace first!  Oh, the job list goes on  :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2010, 16:30 »
Polybush the steering rack bushes, that makes a nice difference to how the car feels.

nick

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2010, 17:09 »
And stitch-weld the control arms ('wishbones').

That makes a big difference.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2010, 18:21 »
And stitch-weld the control arms ('wishbones').

That makes a big difference.

Care to elaborate please? :)

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2010, 18:37 »
Bottom arms are spot welded together, and may even be formed from 1 piece of steel that is folded.. I cant quite remember.
Stitch welding the bottom arms is to run a line, or series of stitch welds around the edge, that will make the arm significantly more  torsionally ridged, TIG welding would be best for this...
Thom

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2010, 18:58 »
theer two halves of pressed steel spot welded together. 

mig tig or stick will do for welding them.    i stiched mine to the point htey were completly welded.    to be fair to them heat distortionisn't much of a problem i seam welded a pair of old ones with 4mm rods on a 300A stick welder ( and din't bother stiching hem first ) just to see how much they would twist and they din't
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2010, 19:20 »
Is that trick as simple as taking them out and welding it? or is there other stuff thatd need some expertise?