Author Topic: Bonded Windscreen...?  (Read 4877 times)

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2010, 09:05 »
bevis got that tip from me, and I got it from cgti ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2010, 12:05 »
So are you running these bushes?  Have you ever fitted them? Or are you shouting unproven nonsense while the rest of us actually do stuff?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2010, 14:02 »
eh? :undecided:

you have fitted the TT bushes havent you, and they work yes? This is a tip i got from clubgti, and i just happened to mention it to beavis who then passed it on to you and danny. Not sure what your issue is here...
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #23 on: 28 June 2010, 16:59 »
Wouldn't welding up the sunroof be more effective at stiffening the body than bonding the windscreen........?

No, because of the amount of reinforcement put in by VW to compensate.

Sunroof shells are supposed to be stiffer.

I would say it would, Can you remove most the sunroof and just keep it to fill hole to get rid of some weight?, as i dont have a clue what its purpose is, when I had no windows for a month it done nothing to get colder air in, probably let it out but it didn't cool me down in the slightest !
Does that mean heavier too then?

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #24 on: 28 June 2010, 18:07 »
Wouldn't welding up the sunroof be more effective at stiffening the body than bonding the windscreen........?

No, because of the amount of reinforcement put in by VW to compensate.

Sunroof shells are supposed to be stiffer.

I would say it would, Can you remove most the sunroof and just keep it to fill hole to get rid of some weight?, as i dont have a clue what its purpose is, when I had no windows for a month it done nothing to get colder air in, probably let it out but it didn't cool me down in the slightest !
Does that mean heavier too then?

I never said that :lipsrsealed:


Would seam welding the shell not be a subtle, if not labour intesive way of stiffening up the shell if you are intent on not using strutbraces?


You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Bonded Windscreen...?
« Reply #25 on: 28 June 2010, 19:09 »
oops my bad.!