Author Topic: Heater Matrix and Radiator  (Read 2582 times)

Offline drapergti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
Heater Matrix and Radiator
« on: 15 March 2010, 07:58 »
Hi I am planning on changing the heater matrix and change the radiator in my 1990 16v, I'm going to buy the MK3 one from GSF, bt for the Rad I can not see one listed, on searching here the part number quotes does not appear on the GSF website any ideas?

Also do I need to buy anything else other than those two parts?

Are there any othere jobs you would recommend whilst its all in bits?

Thanks
Stu


Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2010, 11:48 »
Just make sure you buy the £37.80 Heater Matrix and not the cheaper one :)

Maybe worth sticking a new thermostat in while there's no coolant in the system?

Offline drapergti

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2010, 12:23 »
Will do, managed to get the bits, just need to add.a first aid kit to the list!

Offline Brayster

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 68
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2010, 14:15 »
The new matrix might smoke when u first turn the engine on don't worry like I did if so!!! I'm told it's just the coating added to stop it from rusting in the warehouse... Or u could clean it first? 

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2010, 17:18 »
My matrix didn't smoke but there was a burning smell for a while so don't worry if you do smell burning as it's just the newness burning off the matrix,I'd also check when the cambelt is due and if it is soon I'd get the waterpump and cambelt done at the sametime,then everything is done and you won't have to drain the system again. just a suggestion tho  :smiley:

Offline Jay

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,415
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2010, 17:21 »
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2010, 18:38 »
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:

Yes.......but i didnt  :tongue:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2010, 18:54 »
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:

Never noticed a smell in mine :undecided:

Offline Jay

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,415
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2010, 20:24 »
I've never had to do one (yet) but read a lot of people complaining about the smell afterwards  :grin:  :lipsrsealed:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2010, 10:21 »
not just a smell on mine, loads of grey smoke out the vents. took ages to burn off!
gsf dont appear to do a 16v rad, an 8v one will fit but its longer so you need the top & bottom hoses, plus the rad fan shroud.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.