Author Topic: Temp Gauge reading on Mk2 8v Digi  (Read 17271 times)

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
Temp Gauge reading on Mk2 8v Digi
« on: 15 December 2009, 00:55 »
Hello all, my temp gauge has been very intermittant and always in the low and never really going above the first shaded area.
I just replaced the thurmostat and the reading still stays the same and only if I am in traffic does it get towards the middle, then you get back on the run and it cools down again.

The fan blows hot - well warm - the rad fan comes on ok also and is regulating temp like it should, ie switching on and off when the rad temp sensor gets to its "on" temp
its got a new rad in as well.
The dash says oil temp is around 88 to 93 degreees depending on how hot or how hard I run the car.

I would expect it to get up to temp in the middle of the gauge and stay there though like everyother car I have ever owned
Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D
1994 BMW 730 V8 fully loaded 220BHP

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
Re: Temp Gauge reading on Mk2 8v Digi
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2009, 01:19 »
Gauge should sit in the middle when up to temp. Have you changed the gauge temp sender? Had a similar problem with the needle sitting on the first mark - changed the sender and now sits in the middle.

Its the black one next to the blue one on the front of head.

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2009, 01:47 »
cheers man, is that the smaller of the 2?
I have a big one on top closer to the spark plugs side of the head ( when you disconnect it it runs rough as hell and has a 2 pin connector) guess thats the blue one (mine is white)? and the small on just before the top rad hose has a single female spade connector sender on it take it thats the black one?

Cant tell the colors as they are so old.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 01:58 by 6foot6 »
Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2009, 02:00 »
Think they are the same size IIRC and yeah that sounds like you disconnected the blue one. The black one is straight in front of that by the top rad hose as you said.

Looks like this

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2009, 02:02 »

theres is my engine
Damn , my black on dont look like that its a single round pin connector that has a yellow female factory spade connector on it??!

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2009, 02:16 »
What year is the car? Looks like an early type expansion tank - perhaps the senders were different on earlier cars. I'm sure someone on here will no doubt be able to clarify

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2009, 10:59 »
yarg tis a pre 88 digi, quite rare. if you look at the flange on the front of the head, the temp sensor is the small one with the red/yel wire, and a black collar. when asking for a new one, ask for a MK2 16v one, it saves confusion.  The larger 2 pin white one is for the ECU.

I'd say problem isnt the sensor though, more liekly to be a missing or stuck open thermostat. have a read of my coolant FAQ it'll take you how to check over the coolant system :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2009, 19:16 »
Cheer Mr Johnny sir, I have changed the stat and tested the stat in some boiling water before it was fitted and it was all good.

the bottom rad hose stays cold for a good 10 to 15 mins in this weather before it even gets warm so I think the stat is fine.

the car is a Early E reg Digifant, i did see on GSFs site that the do a single wire temp sender, im starting to think its the gauge tat might be a fault, but i cant ba arsed ripping them out.

Might just fit a after market gauge, just want to know what going on on the track when I take it next year.

My main question is, Will the fueling be right if the dash gauge reads low temp, Im sure the ecu sensor is where the ECU is controling the fueling modes from, correct?
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 19:18 by 6foot6 »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2009, 10:12 »
the ecu and gauge have separate sensors, could just be the dash temp is under reading.

take a closer look at the single pin sensor on that front flange, make sure that it has a black collar on it. the mfa oil temp one in the filter housing has a white collar with a green/black wire, what does the oil temp on the MFA say?

bottom hose should stay cold till gauge gets to half way, which works out about 90degrees coolant tamp. oil temp isnt always the same as the coolant temp tho, so bear that in mind.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Steve_B

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2009, 11:53 »
Have just looked at this as well, the lower hose starts getting warm when the gauge is reading about 1/4 temp, and the fan kicks in when the gauge is reading about 1/2 temp.

iirc that's what the gauge should read when the fan kicks in (the fan uses a different sensor but surely they must get similar readings) so i'm starting to think my thermostat is opening early  :undecided:

Do they do this or do they just get stuck open/closed?