Author Topic: Temp Gauge reading on Mk2 8v Digi  (Read 17272 times)

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
Re: Temp Gauge reading on Mk2 8v Digi
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2010, 17:38 »
I still cant get this sorted, I even put cardboard in front of the rad which gets the oil temp up to 80 -90 quicker and the temp gauge bang in the middle, but I have no heat from heaters now.

New Rad , new Thermostat

my clutch is gone in my MR2 (with its nice toasty heater) so at the moment Im driving about in a frozen Golf GTi and cant feel my legs or feet!

What does the bypass valve for the heater matrix do in the bay( how is it controlled?) if I remove it and replace with pipes (in and out feeds) will that get the heater going? or would it be the flaps under the dash that are goosed?
Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D
1994 BMW 730 V8 fully loaded 220BHP

Offline jezza16v

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2010, 19:44 »
The by-pass valve is designed to keep the water temp in the heater matrix from getting too hot and blowing it. The metal part of the bypass valve has a small thermostat in it, the plastic bit a one way valve. These often fail so they shut off the water supply to the matrix completely when the engine gets up to temp so you get heat for the first few miles then nothing.
When I got my 8v last year the temp gauge was reading very low but the heater worked quite well. I replaced the stat with an oem unit (don't trust any others) so the temp gauge now sits just below half way but it killed the heater after 5 miles because the hotter running temp shut the bypass valve. I have since 'modified' the bypass valve and I now have a toasty warm heater.
Your rad is clearly working fine or the engine would overheat. I would try a new oem stat from a vw dealer first to see if that sorts the gauge reading, then a new temp gauge sender. If you end up with no heater then sort the bypass unit out, if you had heat before you stuffed cardboard in front of the rad then the heater matrix is OK. Take the cardboard out to get your heater working again while you sort out the other bits. Running at a lower temp for a while will not be a problem, the oil will not get up to proper temp if the coolant temp is too low so the problems are probably related.
Was the new thermostat you fitted a genuine VW unit?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2010, 10:46 »
new stat could still be faulty, feel the lower rad hose. it should stay stone cold till temp gets to about 1/2 way, 90degs oil temp then the stat should open and lower hose should get warm

could just be you have a knackered heater matrix or blocked bypass valves. if you remove the valves there is a risk of it bursting. generally they just fail and allow a bit of steam & water into cabin area,. but there is a chance it can explode and spray either driver or passenger legs in boiling coolant
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 05 January 2010, 14:22 »
Ok guys, I have a VW dealer 2 mins from my placee, do VW still supply the bypass part? ( mine already has one fitted and has fresh hose clamps..)
Partnumber etc??

cheers for all the help so far
« Last Edit: 05 January 2010, 14:34 by 6foot6 »
Golf GTi 8v Alpine white - Project track shlag - TLC needed - KnN/Scorpien full system oval tail pipe, rust here and there.
1991 Toyota MR2 MK Revision 1 Turbo, rev 3 LSD, CT20b Turbo, HKS Exhaust, Blitz Downpipe 244HP@the wheels @ 13psi - 12.9 SQM :D

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 05 January 2010, 14:36 »
Ok guys, I have a VW dealer 2 mins from my placee, do VW still supply the bypass part?
Partnumber etc??

cheers for all the help so far

VW stopped making the part, I tried from listers Nuneaton and Coventry a few weeks ago. You will be very lucky to find a new bypass valve from the dealer but it still might be worth ringing around, might be a dealer with one stashed away somewhere. I have seen them on ebay but people are making a 50% mark up in most cases

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2010, 14:40 »
gsf started selling these again, worth giving your local branch a bell anyway

Offline 6foot6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2010, 14:46 »

I'll pop down GSF In Heathrow and ask.

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2010, 14:49 »

Recently? Thats good news, guy at GSF Leicester has some rubber roof strips on hold for me. Might be able to kill two birds with one stone...

You dont secretly go under the pen name of I M Coomber do you Rubjonny?  :grin:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2010, 17:20 »
hehe I recognised the name but it took a while for penny to drop. bit insulting really considering how poor the MK2 haynes is :P

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2010, 02:29 »
hehe I recognised the name but it took a while for penny to drop. bit insulting really considering how poor the MK2 haynes is :P

:grin: :grin:

Oh and by the way matey I tried GSF this afto for the bypass valve but they dont sell em again unfortunately, he spoke to head office and confirmed. Just so you know  :smiley: