Author Topic: Revo remap report (p.3): the Frog has done it!  (Read 36854 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Revo remap report: the Frog has done it!
« Reply #40 on: 20 September 2009, 14:33 »
I wouldn't buy a remapped car, either, but then again I never buy other peoples' cr@p anyway, always new.

As for dealers detecting my remap, it's not an issue: when they plug into the port, their computer will just detect an 'anomally' and reset the entire system. The anomally could be an electric window going up and down too slowly or 65hp too much, the computer doesn't analyse the whys & wherefores, it just resets everything.

Lol @ the cheap wine, Exonian. I see my reputation precedes me :laugh:
« Last Edit: 20 September 2009, 14:35 by FroGTI »

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 20 September 2009, 15:27 »

As for dealers detecting my remap, it's not an issue: when they plug into the port, their computer will just detect an 'anomally' and reset the entire system. The anomally could be an electric window going up and down too slowly or 65hp too much, the computer doesn't analyse the whys & wherefores, it just resets everything.

That's not strictly true...they will know the controller/ECU the fault is thrown up on, and depending on the error, can make a fairl good guess.
For example, you don't get 'Charge pressure limit exceeded' errors up on a std car!
You then reset the errors on an individual controller...not a blanket reset.

If they suspect, all they have to do is drive it...then they'll know...and if they want proof, they log the readings on the MAP sensor...anything above standard and bye-bye warranty.

But, they need to have reason, as most Techs are so pushed for time during servicing/repair work, they aren't looking too hard!

This, is the reason that things like the Superchips Bluefin is a clever idea...you swap the standard map back in for servicing/warranty work...so if they drive it, or log the MAP sensor values, it shows standard.
Not that I would condone this sort of behaviour, of course.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Getting a Revo remap tomorrow - can't wait any longer ;-)
« Reply #42 on: 20 September 2009, 15:45 »
I overplayed the fact that we may get even better fuel consumption

i used this exact same line last night on her  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Getting a Revo remap tomorrow - can't wait any longer ;-)
« Reply #43 on: 20 September 2009, 15:45 »

How would she know? Does your car wear shoes? :wink:

she knows more about cars than i do  :undecided:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 20 September 2009, 15:53 »
great write up fro, very informative.  keep us updated re: consumption and how its driving!
Audi RS5 2018

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #45 on: 20 September 2009, 15:57 »
Do you guys find it's more difficult to then sell the GTI on when your ready to, as any prospective buyer will 'think/know' its been thrashed as its been remapped ?

I've re-mapped at least half a dozen of my own cars. None of them have been thrashed. The maps boost the low speed torque which makes for more relaxing and economical driving. I occasionally give the car a blast but never thrash the car.
If you sell your car privately to an enthusiast they will probably be glad if it has a top quality re-map on it. If you p/x it to a dealer you just flash it back to stock first.
The re-mapping can narrow down the list of prospective buyers but it doesn't make the car difficult to sell on. You could say that the £500 re-map money is dead money at resale time, but so is money spent on options when the car is new. Many people who re-map their cars look after them far, far better than the 'average' owner.

What you do with your car is irrelvant, you could be the most granny like sunday driver in the world, any prospective buyer wont believe a word you say if its remapped. You just told me you dont thrash your cars, and I dont believe you. I wouldnt buy a remapped car in a million years, but as you say, who would know if you got it flashed back to stock.
Nice to see the usual balanced and calm Kev reply  :rolleyes:

Well well well, didnt take long.... Don't know how to reply to it, so instead of saying nothing, you pull out the 'Calm Kev reply' card. Pathetic really, but then again from a pussy like you, I didnt expect anything less.

Now can you see the differences in my replies ? THAT was a calm Kev reply. You nob.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2009, 16:46 »
Sweet...Kev having words with someone other than me... :grin:

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2009, 17:07 »
Kev i thought you`d turned over a new leaf its been ages since you fell out with someone :laugh:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #48 on: 20 September 2009, 17:22 »
Hey, come on, lads. Don't lets fall out about a silly remap :smiley: We all have our own opinions about the whole idea and I am in no way trying to encourage people one way or the other. I am personally prepared to take the risk re. extra wear & tear, warranty, insurance, etc. but I respect people who like to keep their car the way nature intended, lol.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #49 on: 20 September 2009, 17:24 »
Kev i thought you`d turned over a new leaf its been ages since you fell out with someone :laugh:

Still the same old dickheads popping up though mate, so I'll always keep em right.  :wink: :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"