Author Topic: Revo remap report (p.3): the Frog has done it!  (Read 36676 times)

Offline gossa

• I live here
Re: Getting a Revo remap tomorrow - can't wait any longer ;-)
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2009, 23:13 »
Is your top speed higher with a remap or do you just get there quicker?

Can't say that I had a chance to compare 'top speeds' with or without the map.  No Autobahns here mate....

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Revo remap report: the Frog has done it!
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2009, 09:43 »
To make this report as useful to prospective remappers as possible, I am going to try to be as impartial and objective as possible. Hence, unnecessary and annoyingly subjective hyperbole à la Clarkson will be banished, as will words like ‘awesome’.

Why did I want a remap?

Although very satisfying to drive, the stock car never felt quite sporty enough to me. At motorway speeds in particular, I missed the big torque provided by turbo diesels and putting my foot down at 70mph would only give me average pick-up. Also there was the nagging problem that actual performance never really lived up to the wonderful noise the car produces. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that I was disappointed by the 210hp, but having read that VW engineers had designed the 2.0 litre TFSI engine with 300hp in mind, I couldn’t resist seeing what the car was really capable of.

What did the remap involve?

I booked in at an official Revo dealer yesterday for 9:30 am. For the moment, I am not going to reveal their identity, suffice it to say they are in the south east. When I arrived at 9:15, the place was shut – fair enough. I waited until 10am and still nobody had shown up. Hmm, I was smelling the faint whiff of wasted trip! I was just pulling out of the car park when a guy turned up on his motorbike. This turned out to be the owner. After mumbling some half-baked apology for being late, he set to work at what could best be described as a leisurely pace.

Basically, he plugged his laptop into the diagnostics port of my car to read all the relevant data, connected to the Revo server on the Internet and proceeded to purchase and download the appropriate file in much the same way as we might buy a music track online. He then uploaded said file to my car using his laptop and bingo. The whole process (operating at a leisurely pace, with cigarette breaks and jokes with his mates/colleagues) took about 50 minutes.

I was told that, should the VW dealer accidentally wipe out the remap, they will put it back in for me for a nominal £20 fee. He also explained that the Revo remap doesn’t actually inject any extra data, it merely removes some of the restrictive parameters VW put into the ECU, freeing the engine up to deliver more power.

So what’s it like to drive?

TBH, as I made my way back through the town (20-40mph), I couldn’t really notice much difference, although I did detect slightly more low-down torque and I do drive carefully most of the time, especially when in traffic.

I also noticed a very slight difference in the way the DSG ‘box was behaving. It holds on to gears very slightly longer (especially in Sport mode where red-lining is now systematic) and – more disappointingly – exhibits greater drivetrain shunt/hesitation when negotiating roundabouts, for example. It’s not bad, but you do need to be slightly more delicate with your right foot at lower speeds. I dare say that this is not an issue with the manual.

On the way back home, I had ample opportunity to let the car loose on the superb French motorways, although you have to be very careful now as the police come down hard on speeders. The bottom line is that there is considerably more grunt than the stock car. Having owned a number of powerful cars – and if I hadn’t known about the 275hp official figure – I would have guessed that the remapped engine was producing more in the region of 300hp.

The car is a lot more responsive and feels like (apologies for the subjectivity here) a ‘proper sports car’. Acceleration is very rapid, almost brutal, although for some strange reason I don’t fully understand, being pulled along by the front wheels – however briskly – never feels quite as satisfying as being pushed along by the rear ones.

I did not experience any loss of traction, though again, I would consider myself a careful driver and am certainly not looking to thrash the car to within an inch of its life at every opportunity. Perhaps the biggest usable difference was at higher speeds: putting my foot down at 70 now produces an instant surge and I was easily able to accelerate up to about 100 for a few seconds. The DSG also now drops down a gear – or two! – even at high speed. I can’t quite see the point, as the gain in terms of acceleration is minimal, but there’s not a lot I can do about it, other than being extra careful with the throttle to keep it in 6th.

I stopped on the way to see my 19-year-old son. He had driven my GTI before and was keen to try this new version (with me in the passenger seat, for obvious reasons!). He had put the car in sport mode – which is actually almost redundant now, IMHO – and accelerating fairly hard out of a roundabout onto a dual carriageway put a big grin on his face. He confirmed that there was a big difference.

Conclusion – is it worth it?

Apart from the slight reservations regarding the increase in drivetrain shunt and hesitation with the DSG ‘box (although I may get used to this), I would have to say yes. OK, so it’s expensive, but if VW offered a GTI Plus (Golf R?) with 275hp for just £500 + VAT more than the standard model, then I suspect most of us would take it, in much the same way we opt for the 18” wheels.

I have tried to be as factual and unemotional as possible in this review, in the hope that it will help others make up their minds. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2009, 10:34 »
Frog, when you say "shunt/hesitation" is that like turbo lag or if in a manual, letting the clutch out to quickly?
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2009, 10:35 »
Good stuff...

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2009, 10:45 »
Frog, when you say "shunt/hesitation" is that like turbo lag or if in a manual, letting the clutch out to quickly?

I can't really answer for le Frog but I've quite a bit of experience of REVO on my previous cars and they use quite an aggressive throttle map. So the power can be a bit on/off which probably confuses the DSG ECU a bit as you can't slip the clutch like in a manual. REVO have a DSG map coming soon I believe.

@ Frog, well done for getting the map. Can't wait to get mine done. I've had REVO on a couple of 1.8t engines in the past so I know what you mean about it feeling more like 300bhp! They use quite aggressive mapping and produce high torque figures which makes the car feel a lot more powerful than it actually is. Which is what you spend your re-map money for - the grin factor!  :evil:
I had a different re-map on my mk5 as I felt the REVO in my previous car (a 2006 Polo GTI) was a bit too aggressive, but in retrospect - I like the aggressive.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2009, 11:03 »
You may find that DSG software will adjust over time to "match up" with the new engine characteristics...
Good right up though and sounds worth it  :wink:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2009, 11:12 »

There's zero lag on my mapped manual so this must just be DSG related.

Good write up frog, my car was the the mule that Revo developed the map from, not so sure about exact figures as they said mine was putting out more BHP than was expected stock but regardless of 'numbers' and 'graphs', yes, it feels very fast!

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2009, 11:37 »
According to REVOs site, the standard Mk6 they used was making 235 BHP. Yeah right...
VAG engines are good, but not that good!

Regardless, it's a genuine 40+ BHP gain, which combined with the huge torque jump will easilt feel like 100 BHP!

I gained about 45 BHP on my old 1.8T and I'd have put my house on it being 100 BHP from how it felt.

My expreience with REVO maps is also that they are pretty aggressive...I suppose you pick the tuner acording to how you want the car to feel.

Good write up though...one to consider, for sure.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2009, 11:43 »
You may find that DSG software will adjust over time to "match up" with the new engine characteristics...
Good right up though and sounds worth it  :wink:

Funny you should say that: I went out in the car this morning to jetwash all the flies off and the DSG did seem smoother than yesterday, no hesitation and none of the shunting I got yesterday. Maybe it was just coincidence, or else yesterday I was feeling tired and picky after all the driving I had done.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2009, 12:20 »
Do you guys find it's more difficult to then sell the GTI on when your ready to, as any prospective buyer will 'think/know' its been thrashed as its been remapped ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"