Author Topic: Revo remap report (p.3): the Frog has done it!  (Read 36852 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Revo remap report: the Frog has done it!
« Reply #30 on: 20 September 2009, 12:30 »
Do you guys find it's more difficult to then sell the GTI on when your ready to, as any prospective buyer will 'think/know' its been thrashed as its been remapped ?

I don't tell them :smiley:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2009, 12:33 »
Do you guys find it's more difficult to then sell the GTI on when your ready to, as any prospective buyer will 'think/know' its been thrashed as its been remapped ?

I've re-mapped at least half a dozen of my own cars. None of them have been thrashed. The maps boost the low speed torque which makes for more relaxing and economical driving. I occasionally give the car a blast but never thrash the car.
If you sell your car privately to an enthusiast they will probably be glad if it has a top quality re-map on it. If you p/x it to a dealer you just flash it back to stock first.
The re-mapping can narrow down the list of prospective buyers but it doesn't make the car difficult to sell on. You could say that the £500 re-map money is dead money at resale time, but so is money spent on options when the car is new. Many people who re-map their cars look after them far, far better than the 'average' owner.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #32 on: 20 September 2009, 12:35 »
^^^ my sentiments exactly.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #33 on: 20 September 2009, 13:13 »

I've re-mapped at least half a dozen of my own cars. None of them have been thrashed. The maps boost the low speed torque which makes for more relaxing and economical driving. I occasionally give the car a blast but never thrash the car.
If you sell your car privately to an enthusiast they will probably be glad if it has a top quality re-map on it. If you p/x it to a dealer you just flash it back to stock first.
The re-mapping can narrow down the list of prospective buyers but it doesn't make the car difficult to sell on. You could say that the £500 re-map money is dead money at resale time, but so is money spent on options when the car is new. Many people who re-map their cars look after them far, far better than the 'average' owner.

What you do with your car is irrelvant, you could be the most granny like sunday driver in the world, any prospective buyer wont believe a word you say if its remapped. You just told me you dont thrash your cars, and I dont believe you. I wouldnt buy a remapped car in a million years, but as you say, who would know if you got it flashed back to stock.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #34 on: 20 September 2009, 13:23 »
Like Kev above i would not buy a remapped car in a million years. The amount of Ed30s and mk5 GTIs i rulled out because of it. In the end i went for a new mk6.
Afterall you just have to go read some of the stupid coments by modified owners to workout how some of them treat there cars.
At the end of the day a remaped car may put more stress on the engine/suspesion/drivetrain components reducing the live of them.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 20 September 2009, 13:25 »

What you do with your car is irrelvant, you could be the most granny like sunday driver in the world, any prospective buyer wont believe a word you say if its remapped. You just told me you dont thrash your cars, and I dont believe you. I wouldnt buy a remapped car in a million years, but as you say, who would know if you got it flashed back to stock.
Nice to see the usual balanced and calm Kev reply  :rolleyes:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #36 on: 20 September 2009, 13:29 »

Nice to see the usual balanced and calm Kev reply  :rolleyes:

He does have a point though, I'd never buy a car which has or has had  a remap.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 20 September 2009, 13:30 »
Like Kev above i would not buy a remapped car in a million years. The amount of Ed30s and mk5 GTIs i rulled out because of it. In the end i went for a new mk6.
Afterall you just have to go read some of the stupid coments by modified owners to workout how some of them treat there cars.
At the end of the day a remaped car may put more stress on the engine/suspesion/drivetrain components reducing the live of them.
I know where you're coming from, and I'd be very wary of buying a re-mapped car myself despite the fact I'm quite happy to do my own.
But not all owners are the same, there are some forum members cars I'd quite happily buy despite their modifications as I would know that everything possible was done to preserve their cars in tip top condition. Some forum members cars I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Caveat Emptor
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 20 September 2009, 13:34 »
FULL POST-OP REPORT ON PAGE 3

After umming and ahhing for the last couple of weeks, and having grilled you senseless on which company to go with and when to do it, I decided to book a Revo remap for tomorrow. I was coming over to England anyway tomorrow for a bit of shopping and so I thought I may as well get the remap over & done with. The guy I spoke to really seemed to know what he was talking about and put my mind at rest regarding warranty and other issues. He said they had done a MB S600 a couple of weeks ago that had only 22 miles on the clock and managed to get 850hp out of it :nerd:

Anyway, I will be happy if they give me the 275hp they promise on their website. I will report back on Sunday once I'm back in France.

Wish me luck for the operation :embarassed:

Who needs a Warranty anyway :evil:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 20 September 2009, 14:16 »
FULL POST-OP REPORT ON PAGE 3

After umming and ahhing for the last couple of weeks, and having grilled you senseless on which company to go with and when to do it, I decided to book a Revo remap for tomorrow. I was coming over to England anyway tomorrow for a bit of shopping and so I thought I may as well get the remap over & done with. The guy I spoke to really seemed to know what he was talking about and put my mind at rest regarding warranty and other issues. He said they had done a MB S600 a couple of weeks ago that had only 22 miles on the clock and managed to get 850hp out of it :nerd:

Anyway, I will be happy if they give me the 275hp they promise on their website. I will report back on Sunday once I'm back in France.

Wish me luck for the operation :embarassed:

Who needs a Warranty anyway :evil:
Yep, maybe we should all become Buddhist monks and sit on a hill pondering what will go wrong in our lives? This is a GTI forum not a Prius forum. Live a little.
Oh and a re-map won't void the warrnty on your air-con or radio.
The Frogster lives in Frogland where he says it's illegal to have a re-map anyway, so the dealers aren't exactly going to be looking for signs whilst he plies them with his cheap wine!

If you think re-maps are bad and scary like the monster under your bed then stay away from them and don't look under your bed at night.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner