Author Topic: Refund policy?  (Read 4908 times)

Offline KVW

• Not said much yet
Refund policy?
« on: 18 August 2009, 20:25 »
My gti experience has gone from bad to worse.

I picked up my car 7 weeks ago and found on delivery it had a broken
ashtray and several rattles. The garage wanted nothing to do with the rattles so ensued a long protracted series of phonecalls where they finally accepted to do
something about it. 6 residencies in the garage (they've had the car as long as I have in 7 weeks) and 500 miles of their 'testing' (including 80 miles in
three days last week- go figure) later they claimed to have sorted it (+ an rcd510 as a goodwill gesture). Today I got them to deliver the car to my work where it was conveniently done whilst I was busy treating patients just after lunch. Imagine to my horror when I discovered this evening they had given me my car back with a kerbed left front alloy and torn sidewall on the tyre. I'm absolutely livid. Phoned the technician who has been dealing with my car over the past 9 days on his mobile as the garage was closed. He said he'll look into it.

Where do I stand? I have had the worst start to owning a gti. Can't see it getting better. I'm actually regretting buying it - which I did cash up front. I've wasted so many miles travelling to and from the garages, loads of time in the phone and I could really do without the stress.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 20:30 by KVW »

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Re: Refund policy?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2009, 20:34 »
Sorry to hear this.
Not sure what's best...get it fixed, or get rid.

I feel similar if things go wrong and don't get fixed...I just won't put up with it, so the car has to go.

Good luck.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline sambo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2009, 20:40 »
Can you claim on there insurance and insist any corrective work be done at another VW dealer?

Sounds like your having a rough time  :sad:

Wouldn't suprise me if they have been using it as a demo in the spare time to be honest. When I had a vauxhall vivaro van from new it went in for some warranty work and they threw me the keys to a corsa to use which had he-man dual controls fitted! (learner car) pretty sure it wasn't part of there stock judging by all the personal stuff that was in it  :shocked:

Sam
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 20:43 by sambo »
Sam

AXX power!  ..   Tinkering has started.... :smiley:

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2009, 21:32 »

write into a car mag. 

i did that when i had heaps of teething problems with my MINI and after 11mths they agreed to completely replace the car... co-incidently one week after my letter was published in Autocar...

What Car is good for this too, they have a dedicated section on this.  They often help you to contact the manufacturer.

Given the Golf GTI is so new, this will be "newsworthy" so I would expect mags to take up your cause.

If still no joy then escalate to VW HQ and also Trading Standards.

Best of luck.
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2009, 21:42 »

write into a car mag. 

i did that when i had heaps of teething problems with my MINI and after 11mths they agreed to completely replace the car... co-incidently one week after my letter was published in Autocar...

What Car is good for this too, they have a dedicated section on this.  They often help you to contact the manufacturer.

Given the Golf GTI is so new, this will be "newsworthy" so I would expect mags to take up your cause.

If still no joy then escalate to VW HQ and also Trading Standards.

Best of luck.

Best idea to start with.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2009, 21:58 »
Take photographs as evidence. Tomorrow call VW UK Customer Care at the number on this page http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/contact 

Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2009, 22:08 »
I'd phone and arrange an appointment to see the manager of the garage not the technician that has been dealing with the car.
Tell him verbally the faults and complaints you have and also write them down with times dates etc the car has been in the garage. If you haven't already done this make sure you do it from now on.

I'd tell the manager you are contacting VW direct about the shoddy workmanship to keep them in the picture. Personally I'd give them one more chance stipulating when they can have the car and for how long. You don't want to give them it for it just to sit in a garage for a few days not being looked at.

Tell VW you are giving them one more chance but you have no confidence in their workmanship. They should appoint their own manager to it that will liaise with the garage. If its not fixed demand another dealer take over the work.

I'd also want them to justify the 80 miles in 3 days. That's absurd for testing for rattles.
A new wheel and tyre is the least they can give you for the damage.

If VW don't get it sorted, I'd then resort to the car mags.

EDIT: I never noticed, Are you saying they have run up 500 miles in testing alone in 7 weeks???
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2009, 22:28 »

if all else fails send in the heavy mob.... TT and Kev ought to do it!   :evil:

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline KVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2009, 22:35 »
Indeed that is the case. My car has just hit 1000 miles. Ive only had the car for half of the 7 weeks since delivery. Half of the mileage has been put on by them and their testing and ferrying the car to and from the garages. Vw customer have been kept in the loop since day 1. They'll be getting another call in the morning. I've avoided the managers at the garages after week 3 when the brand manager started shouting at me whilst trying to sort things out. Ended up telling him I wasn't going to get involved and would communicate through customer care instead. Hence the goodwill gesture offered instigated by vw. Can't believe the poor service I've received so far. I won't name and shame the garage in question just yet seeing as I have to deal with them for a little while longer until an outcome is reached. Will keep you posted re phone calls tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. K  
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 22:37 by KVW »

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2009, 07:51 »
I would go down the bad press route tbh. Not what any business needs right now, but stressing that this is the route you will take if the issue is not sorted will probably get things sorted alot sooner than you think.

Worst case would be to refuse the car which you are will within your rights to do... dont forget to stress that whilst another car is on order you would want a courtesy car also.