Author Topic: Refund policy?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Re: Refund policy?
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2009, 08:37 »

Sorry re-reading the OP's issues, they do sound cosmetic. Rattles, a broken ashtray and a kerbed alloy/ ripped tyre side wall.

When I had issues with my brand new MINI they were fundamental things that affected my use of the car. I had several electrical faults which meant the car wouldn't start and the gear linkage went meaning I was stuck in gear on the motorway. After the latter fault I was livid and penned my letter to Autocar.

In this case, this is more around dealer incompetence around trying to sort out minor issues. They have upgraded your stereo which prob covers the cost of the kerbed alloy and tyre.

A proper dealer should be able to sort out your points, and I support you in trying to get this done, BUT I don't think this is so serious that there are grounds for a new car.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2009, 08:44 »
don't go to the press - get Trading Standards involved as they carry a lot more clout and will resolve your issues

My missus deals with this sort of stuff all the time.  Its suprising how quickly the garage suddenly sorts things after a phone call from Trading Standards  :evil:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2009, 10:15 »
don't go to the press - get Trading Standards involved as they carry a lot more clout and will resolve your issues

My missus deals with this sort of stuff all the time.  Its suprising how quickly the garage suddenly sorts things after a phone call from Trading Standards  :evil:

Trading standards is very good advice. This is not a fly by night company either that may ignore trading standards, so I'd 2nd giving them a go.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2009, 10:37 »
I would take it back and demand a refund. there's no way they should have put 500 miles on the clock.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2009, 10:43 »
I would take it back and demand a refund. there's no way they should have put 500 miles on the clock.

sadly they are very unlikely to do that - its not as if the car isn't mechanically sound

best the OP can hope for is to have everything put right and get some compensation for petrol, deprciation costs etc which is where Trading Standards can help  :smiley:

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2009, 13:50 »

They have upgraded your stereo which prob covers the cost of the kerbed alloy and tyre.

surely a new alloy and tyre would cover it too?

i still think you are still owed a small depreciation charge and hassle factor compensation on top of the stereo upgrade and new wheel/tyre, but it would have to be a worse problem before i'd be insisting on handling it back (i think)
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2009, 19:35 »
I had big problems with a picasso i once owned,it leaked oil from gearbox area from about 3 months old untill i sold it and brought a touran 3 years later,it spent at least 6 months in the dealers,they spent thousands doing the same things over and over again,i contacted trading standards who said as long as they keep trying to fix the problems there is very little they can do.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2009, 19:42 »
I had big problems with a picasso i once owned,it leaked oil from gearbox area from about 3 months old untill i sold it and brought a touran 3 years later,it spent at least 6 months in the dealers,they spent thousands doing the same things over and over again,i contacted trading standards who said as long as they keep trying to fix the problems there is very little they can do.

they can't force them to do anything but they can assist the consumer to prepare a court case if the consumer gets to that point.  And also with them involved it certainly applies a lot more pressure than going to the press and or dealing with it yourself

unfortunately its mainly dependant on how helpful your local Trading Standards office are  :sad:

Offline KVW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2009, 21:38 »
Phoned customer care first thing this morning and they logged everything but was told my contract is with the dealership and not them so they can't get involved with regards to refunds or the like. Called the garage straight after and was told that the manager I needed to speak to was away for the day in Leeds so he'd be in touch tomorrow. Then i was informed that the guy who valeted the car said he didn't kerb my alloy and the guy who delivered my car went off on holiday yesterday for 3 weeks. It was then suggested to me that I did it. You can imagine my reaction. Ended up getting put through to the communications manager who said he'll try and sort out a new tyre for Saturday and will call me  regarding getting a new alloy as well hopefully for the same time. Hopefully my tyre won't fall apart before then due to the damaged sidewall.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2009, 22:08 »
Any time I don't get satisfaction or feel I'm being fobbed off I just go above that person i.e. manager to area manager.
If it is a big main dealer try and find out who their Managing Director is and then write a letter of complaint to them ccing a copy to the actual manager that you have had no satisfaction with. You'll be amazed how quickly they get off their fat arses and get the job done properly.

Many moons ago I bought a Vectra Estate (1st ever brand new car). It had a squeaking noise from the rear of the car that would drive me crazy. It really was infuriating and everyone commented on it. It also had rattles from the glove box and the door frame. It was in and out the dealers several times with no success. I think about 7 or 8 full days in total. I got to the point I actually didn't want to drive it. Anyway after several attempts to fix it I felt the manager wanted nothing more to do with me and would never be available when I called or was taking the car in. I eventually wrote to Arnold of Arnold Clark fame (we all make mistakes) ccing the manager. 2 days later the manager called me personally to arrange someone to come and pick up my car and deposit a courtesy car of better spec (he gave me his own SRi estate) He also paid for all my previous insurance cover when I was using the courtesy car, upgraded my cassette player to a CD player which was a big thing then  :smiley: and threw in the first service free.
They managed to fix the 2 rattles but left me with the squeak which I managed to fix by applying a tiny bit of vaseline around the tailgate seal.

So I learned it always pays to go above the bosses head if you are getting no satisfaction. Don't let them fob you off.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14