Author Topic: GTI FUEL PUMP  (Read 5635 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
GTI FUEL PUMP
« on: 04 July 2009, 18:38 »
WOOHOO!, I HAVE A SPARK AND SHE TRIES TO START!!!! the fuel pump primes the car just about fires then nothing, when does the fuel pump kick in full time??  is there an easy way to make it run constant for the purpose of seeing if she'll fire up properly?  what is the best way to check that this is the problem in the first place? Relay works, you can hear it prime fuel is getting to the chamber from the 5th injector.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: GTI FUEL PUMP
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2009, 19:24 »
i can give you a general purpose relay that was in place of my fuel pump relay that allowed the fuel pump to prime constantly  :huh:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2009, 21:55 »
You can also bridge the relay terminals to get the pump running.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2009, 22:23 »
cheers mate, yeah it did cross my mind but wasnt too sure which to bridge as there are 4 points, maybe 2 for prime (live and earth) and 2 for constant (live and earth). what do you think?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2009, 23:39 »
cheers mate, yeah it did cross my mind but wasnt too sure which to bridge as there are 4 points, maybe 2 for prime (live and earth) and 2 for constant (live and earth). what do you think?

Not sure, you might need to try it both ways.

Offline janbardy

• Just got here
  • mk1 karmann cabby
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2009, 23:44 »
i have a similar problem car was turning over but not firing sprayed some start your bastard in to fuel line it and would run till it burned it off, changed the fuel pump and all has been good for the last couple of weeks , but after changing the master and bleeding the brakes yesterday it is back to not firing again, cant hear anything when i turn the ignition on, i am sure i used to hear the fuel pump and relay wake up ....hmmm

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2009, 00:46 »

Not sure, you might need to try it both ways.
I remember why it was just a passing thought, because of my fun times trying to get a spark due to mashed wireing http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=121281.0 i was thinking that its a wire that screwed from the fuse box.... i'll give it try though, if not, trace the wireing!
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 01:18 by SoundillusioN »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2009, 08:52 »
bridge the 2 large terminals to bypass the relay
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2009, 10:44 »
bridge the 2 large terminals to bypass the relay
  Hi, yeah in the end i figured out which was right after nearly melting my fingers, ended up with a wired switch with spade connections on the end so i could switch it on and off easily and guess what.... she started first time after 5 years of being out iof the car and sounds like she'd never been out of action!!!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2009, 10:49 »
i can give you a general purpose relay that was in place of my fuel pump relay that allowed the fuel pump to prime constantly  :huh:
  Hi, I never said thanks for the offer, as you can see from above above post I got her going but spades in the front of the fuse box isnt the best long term.  Does this relay only kick in when ignition is on?  if you don't need it, does the offers still stand? give you some money for it if needs be?... cheers mate.