Author Topic: My GTI Test Drive & Pics  (Read 14358 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
My GTI Test Drive & Pics
« on: 04 June 2009, 21:20 »
Just back, and it wasnt the white GTI I was expecting, it was Red and a 5 door. But boy oh boy did I love it.

Just taking the pics from the camera then will write up a short summary of the test drive itself.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
Re: My GTI Test Drive & Pics
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2009, 21:37 »

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2009, 21:38 »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2009, 21:39 »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2009, 22:13 »
Part 1 - Test Drive

Was slightly dissapointed to hear it was Red and not a White and 3dr when I arrived, I was expecting white, but once I saw her I lost that dissapointment. How can I feel like that when I'm looking at a GTI ! Such a gorgeous car and as many people say, such a better looker in the flesh too.

This GTI had ACC so I didnt waste any time in trying it out. Was still fairly busy on the roads at that time but once they started quieting down I tried it out. Sport mode up first and it felt fairly hard when driving but I felt much more in control, esp going round corners and when speeding out of roundabouts. Comfort mode impressed me most, it was then really nice to drive, and very 'comfortable' when I didnt want to rally the arse out of it, cant really describe it other than by saying it had a touch of luxury about it. Normal mode was fine when driving around the roads as you do, little harder than what i expected, but fine. I really liked comfort mode, I might add ACC to my extra's list now. Thanks VW !

The power in this thing is excellent, fast off the mark, didnt have to floor it for it to click into action, it responds very well and didnt even know I was doing, erm 70 ?  :wink:  :evil:

I didnt feel tired driving this, the seating position was perfect for me after a couple of tiny adjustments, I really enjoyed driving it, I'd border on saying I love it.

Its very very quiet inside, eerily quiet. Air con was class, boy do I miss that  :grin: The touch screen radio/cd was responsive and easy to use, although it will end up finger mark city but not noticable until turned off. Sound out the standard speakers was adequate.

Inside the car had a few touches of luxury, right down to the felt/velvet finishings, in the side bits at the door and the glove compartment. Quality materials used throughout. Steering wheel was very gadgety, not a bad thing for me, I loved it. I liked the way I could check my trip, mpg, oil temp etc all at the touch of a button.

One thing that I almost argued with the car over was the way the car 'told me' when to change gear. When I was driving it would give me a little arrow indicator to tell me when to change up. I'll decide GTI, not you, little bloody minx !  :grin: I understand its trying to re-train me into being more economic etc but It was putting me off a bit as my eyes were always being drawn towards it.

It's fast ! Although I never went over 70  :tongue: It gets there fast ! and its a proper head turner, surprised at the VW GT drivers giving us a smile when we went past in the traffic, then you could see the head turning right round  lol bless em.

Hope I've not missed anything out, any questions ask away.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2009, 22:17 »
Part 2 - Garage

Talked money.

To cut a very very long conversation short. Could only offer £1000 off the car with nothing off the extra's. Told me to stay away from companies on net, most will sell imports. And they cant get anywhere near the dealdrivers price. They did say that dealdrivers will show the price of the car on their website and will then talk to garage but the garage will still not sell it at the price they are advertising at. Not sure wither to believe that or not as I thought dealdrivers have already set this price with the garage. I'll need to check with them tomorrow to confirm.

Anyway, with just £1000 off and nothing off extra's I'll shop around until I can find out if dealdrivers are the real deal.

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2009, 22:48 »
Heck i love this car!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: God i need to get out more!  :laugh:

Great pics Kev! Glad yo enjoyed it! Looks good in red too, but with my current golf being red, i ruled out getting the same colour again!

The car i drove did not have ACC but i did think it was quite firm too, however i spend all my time on country roads so i need the car to be in tune to the road for fast cornering and overtaking so thats probably a good thing.

So were you totally sold on it after the test drive? I was although i hadcbought it before i test drove it.

When i first called deal drivers they said the price had gone up from what was on the website, it was a few hundred if i remember correctly, and i said to them to put a dealer in contact with me as i want to order one. They never got back to me and nor did any dealer so i am not sure what to make. I got a good price in the end so i was happy and no trip south to England.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2009, 23:27 »
Heck i love this car!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: God i need to get out more!  :laugh:

Great pics Kev! Glad yo enjoyed it! Looks good in red too, but with my current golf being red, i ruled out getting the same colour again!

The car i drove did not have ACC but i did think it was quite firm too, however i spend all my time on country roads so i need the car to be in tune to the road for fast cornering and overtaking so thats probably a good thing.

So were you totally sold on it after the test drive? I was although i hadcbought it before i test drove it.

When i first called deal drivers they said the price had gone up from what was on the website, it was a few hundred if i remember correctly, and i said to them to put a dealer in contact with me as i want to order one. They never got back to me and nor did any dealer so i am not sure what to make. I got a good price in the end so i was happy and no trip south to England.

To be honest neil, I was sold on it even before the test drive, I knew I was getting one. This just confirmed it.

What was your deal in the end again ? Your spec and discount ? and was it Tom you were dealing with in Verve ? If not, could you let me know who ?

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2009, 23:41 »
Candy white GTI 3 door DSG
Monza Shaddow Alloys
Bi Xennon lights
RCD510 sterio with Dynaudio
Bluetooth
DAB Radio
Storage Pack
Cruise Control

Retail was 26550, managed to get it for 25k. I bought it over the phone so i never went in. The guy who i was put in contact with was called Alistair. Met him when i test drove it, although i wouldnt say he was nearly as enthusiastic or knowlegable as you have mentioned Tom is.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2009, 00:06 »
Thanks.

Got some thinking to do over the next few days.  :smiley: