Author Topic: My GTI Test Drive & Pics  (Read 14323 times)

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
Re: My GTI Test Drive & Pics
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2009, 09:59 »
My first post as I am looking at going back into my company car scheme and the GTI is one that potentially could meet my needs.

I went for a test drive the other day. Car was a 5 door DSG in Black. Certainly does look very nice. The car didnt have ACC.

Have to say my feeling are a little mixed.

I loved the looks, the interior, driving position and the DSG box, why I havent bought a car with it before I dont know. The handling also felt very good, but it would be nice to see how I felt about it a month down the line after some mixed driving on B roads dry and wet.
It would of been nice to try ACC, but on my Audi I never use the similar Mag Ride button. Not sure its worth the money they are trying to charge for it.

I do have a couple of major concerns.

1. Power - just came away feeling it was crying out for another 50bhp, however the car felt deceptively slow. Looking at the speedo it was certainly shifting. Just never got the impression of it being a quick car. When the R20 version comes out it will sort that I feel.

2. Engine and exhaust noise - they have made it a limo. The 2.0T engine can sound good, it certainly does in my Audi, but in the GTI its devoid of character. Not sure they tuned the special filters very well

3. Price - I know this has been mentioned a few times, but any decent spec is around £27k. This would then compete head to head price wise with a nicely discounted brand new S3 of similar spec, which has 4wd and a lot more power.

If I wasnt being a tight git, then I would have the S3 every day of the week as a private buyer. If I go for the GTI, I would want to structure a deal that let me jump into an R20 next year. What concerns me is the GTI will have one very steep depreciation curve that will make it hard to do.

How soon before the R20 is out in the UK?

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2009, 11:24 »
Personally I think the 5doors look horrible compared with the 3, And the Auto DSG kinda takes the feeling of speed and control away from the driver. Currently in my mk V I know when Im going fast because its bouncing off the limiter in 3rd and heading straight into 4th, With the dsg its easy to miss what gear your in constently having to look down at that tiny little number on the screen which shows you which gear your in.
 Why carn't people post any 3door pics up. I went to c one 3dr white with xenons and it looked absolutely sick. All these 5dr pics certainly do not do the GTI justice.
 Powerwise. Im buying the GTI knowing im going to do something about the power. ill fully remap it. And drag that horrible cat outta the rear system possibly do something with the air intake. Easy things but will make alot of difference. And should the need arise for a warrenty recall of service. I can change the standard sh!t back over and no1's the wiser :laugh:
 Neilgcal. I think ours will be loaded on the boat nxt to each other. Ide like to c your production number when it comes lol. Carn't help but thinking were gna be v close.

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2009, 11:44 »
I called up yesterday to get an update and i have not got a production number yet. Hoping it will be soon, but apparently when it does have one it takes a week to built and then needs to be shipped.

When did you order yours? Mine was on 02May, 2 days after the Xenonn's became an option to order.

Have you got an order number?

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2009, 12:24 »
Flipping heck fellas. you must have some seriously quick motors if you think the Mark 6 is lacking in power. I thought it was ace but, then again, I've never owned anything so powerful. Maybe I'll change my mind when I've had it 3 years.
i agree with the price and depreciation thing which is why all I put on mine was the alloys, cruise and the lux pack. About £750 worth. Plus metallic at £395. I'd have loved the sat nav and the leather etc. but I think you'll lose a lot of money on those
In any case it'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years when the novelty's worn off a bit.

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2009, 13:16 »
Flipping heck fellas. you must have some seriously quick motors if you think the Mark 6 is lacking in power. I thought it was ace but, then again, I've never owned anything so powerful. Maybe I'll change my mind when I've had it 3 years.
i agree with the price and depreciation thing which is why all I put on mine was the alloys, cruise and the lux pack. About £750 worth. Plus metallic at £395. I'd have loved the sat nav and the leather etc. but I think you'll lose a lot of money on those
In any case it'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years when the novelty's worn off a bit.

Autocar this week has a great write and full test of the car. They seem to have the same conclusions as myself. Ive owned a few cars with the 2.0T engine and the GTI feels more like the EOS than the std 2.0 TT. Stats will show however the GTI to be pretty much as quick as the TT. The lack of either some induction or exhaust noise sheilds you from the action and as mentioned it feels like a quick limo rather than hot hatch. Why put twin exhausts on and then give it no aural enjoyment? The car is just crying out for more power to get over these negative. I certainly got back into my current TT after the test drive and the difference in driver involvement was quite large. VW have to remember you could even get a nice 2.0TT for the same money as they want for the GTI. 

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2009, 13:32 »
Just got a call from my local dealer, the white gti is in, off to see it again tonight  :smiley:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2009, 13:34 »

Autocar this week has a great write and full test of the car. They seem to have the same conclusions as myself. Ive owned a few cars with the 2.0T engine and the GTI feels more like the EOS than the std 2.0 TT. Stats will show however the GTI to be pretty much as quick as the TT. The lack of either some induction or exhaust noise sheilds you from the action and as mentioned it feels like a quick limo rather than hot hatch. Why put twin exhausts on and then give it no aural enjoyment? The car is just crying out for more power to get over these negative. I certainly got back into my current TT after the test drive and the difference in driver involvement was quite large. VW have to remember you could even get a nice 2.0TT for the same money as they want for the GTI. 

Couldn't agree more if you have a minge, as I have never seen a guy drive a TT in my life.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2009, 13:56 »

Couldn't agree more if you have a minge, as I have never seen a guy drive a TT in my life.

Well ive must have 3 minges as Ive had three of them :laugh:, but then I'm the same guy that has owned an R32 and MKV GTI :grin: The only thing you would see of my current TT, is its arse if thats what turns you on as if passes by :evil:

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2009, 14:25 »
Kev, many thanks for the excellent photos & write-up. Given that I have ordered my GTI without ever having driven or even seen one, I was relieved that you were delighted with your test-drive. Pity VW have stuck one of those stupid 'shift up now' lights on the dash, though: my Ford Transit van has one and it's REALLY annoying. I got so sick of it that I stuck a bit of black electrical tape over it, but I don't want to mess up my beautiful GTI like that!

I was especially pleased that the DCC comfort setting is actually comfortable. I have always been put off sporty VWs (and sports suspension in general) because of the obsessively hard ride they insist on giving us. Together with the 'automatic' transmission and the 5 doors, the DCC was what made me plump for the GTI.

Finally - and no offense to anyone - I am SO glad I will be changing the wheels: those 18" shadows are ghastly. In this picture particularly, they look as if the owner has just driven through of pool of tar  :sick:

Not my taste at all, lol.

« Last Edit: 05 June 2009, 14:32 by FroGTI »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2009, 14:32 »

Well ive must have 3 minges as Ive had three of them :laugh:, but then I'm the same guy that has owned an R32 and MKV GTI :grin: The only thing you would see of my current TT, is its arse if thats what turns you on as if passes by :evil:

Well I hope you enjoy your TT then as it passes me by. I know the limitations of a golf, would you like me to list the 101 cars that will pass you by while you stare at their arse ?  :grin: