Author Topic: Crank position sensor??  (Read 2715 times)

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Crank position sensor??
« on: 24 April 2009, 11:36 »
Hi guys having trouble with car and read on Vortex about measuring resistance across crank speed sensor+ should have roughly 6-700 ohms, measured mine+ between pins 2+3 its 34Mohms, could someone who knows verify this or someone who is nice+ has a working car measure their's??
Its an 8V ADY BTW same as AGG ish
Cheers
Just hoping ive found the problemmo+ can start sorting it, doesn't show on VAGCOM though but doesn't seem right that it has such high resistance.

Offline Andy-H

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,204
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2009, 11:42 »
What problems are you having??
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2009, 11:51 »
Rough running+ cutting out after about 10mins, then wont start for a while, have checked alot.....
Any help much appreciated cheers

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2009, 11:27 »
Any one??

Offline Andy-H

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,204
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2009, 20:37 »
Sounds like that is your problem then Mate.

I had to do mine cos it would not start again for ages after a long run, didn't show up on vag-com though  :huh:

Bit of a pain to swap over though  :sad:
'95 Mystic blue Mk3 2.0l 8v - gone
'93 2.0l 16v Corrado - gone (and missed)
'02 A4 Quattro sport - gone
'91 Black 2.1 16v Corrado -gone
'91 Tornado red Mk2

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2009, 10:24 »
Yeah i know its a pain and ain't cheap so just wondering if i could test it out first, plus im a bit unsure of coil. would be great if you could measure the resistance between the pins?? just at the connecter down the front??
Cheers

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2009, 10:23 »
anyone? bumpety bump

Offline cyberbod

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2009, 13:03 »
Axewielder,

I have just bought a new crank sensor and I went and checked the resistance on the new one and the one in my car last night. I've left my scribbles at home though so I'll put them on later. They were both around the 17m ohms mark though.

The other thing though, I could only get a reading a certain way around on pins 2 and 3. If I put my probes the way around, there was no reading. Surely when you check for resistance you should be able to attach the meter probes any way round?

Pete

Offline axewielder

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 935
  • 95 dragon 8v
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2009, 14:42 »
thanks alot man thats really helpful, i just got worried because all the americans have a much lower resistance but someone on vortex said the sensors might be of a diferent type?? i guess it could be a diode, the multimeter buts a small current through to see the resistance. I think i got another reding of similar size on the 2 outer pins once.
If theres anything you need checking just ask, ive got access to etka, elsawin, vagcom??
Cheers

Offline cyberbod

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
Re: Crank position sensor??
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2009, 09:47 »
These are the readings I took of my old and new crank sensors:

New: 17.14 M Ohms
Old: 17.84 Ohms