Author Topic: What size fuse  (Read 1560 times)

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
What size fuse
« on: 29 July 2004, 23:03 »
Finally fitted the whole dvd etc but the sony headunit kept cutting out whenever i changed between tuner/aux/d. Havent a clue why. Changed the fuse in the back, had a 10 amp in so i put a 15 amp in. Is this ok?? Ite seemed to fix the problem but now when I have dvd player and monitor on and change the headunit souce from aux to cd I get the same problem. What amp fuse (if this is the problem) can i safely go up to and does it matter that I have wired the lcd screen and headunit up to the same wires from behind the dash??. I have wired the DVD player seperately through the lighter. Any ideas whats wrong. In all I have the headunit, monitor, dvd, 2 amps (subs and speakers wont affect the power i'm guessing) and plenty of life in the battery. Please give me a clue

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:What size fuse
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2004, 00:45 »
I wouldn't go putting larger fuses in just cos the standard 10A is blowing. The fuse is there to protect the headunit. It sounds like something isn't wired right and when you select the DVD it pops it. check all your wiring. Also try it without the DVD connected
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2004, 10:05 »
I'm not entirely sure how you've wired this up, are you saying that your dvd player and screen are using the same loom (and therefore, power supply) as your headunit?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2004, 17:57 »
Problem solved i think.I was using the same loom for all three. the headunit kept cutting out whenever i touched any controls on it. The fuse in was a 10 amp. i checked the other headunit i have lying around and they all have 15amp ones in. Anyway i changed that and this solved the problem but then it happened with the lcd screen??? I disconnected everything and started from scratch putting the headunit in as normal and the dvd and screen both powered from the lighter. Should this be ok? It seems to have solved the problem. Should i take the 15amp fuse out ad try it with the 10 again or should this be ok?? thanks