Author Topic: mk4 sub fitment help please.  (Read 902 times)

Offline olly08

• Not said much yet
mk4 sub fitment help please.
« on: 10 April 2009, 13:53 »
I have recently bought myself a vibe sub from halfords, not the best but it does the job that i require. I have had many subs before and fitted them all myself. However i am having a problem with this one. I keep blowing fuzes and cannot figure out the problem, i think it is a problem with the earth, under the rear passenger side seat there is a little plastic screw that i removed and earthed it to there. After the sub working perfectly for one day it suddenly started having problems, i have replaced the fuze about 4 times and cannot understand why they keep blowing. when i put a new fuze in and tryed to earth it to the same place again i got sparks at the earth cable and the fuze blew. Does anyone have a idea of anywhere else i can earth it to? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline dubbinmk3

• GTI forum regular
  • ITS A VAG THING .......YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND
Re: mk4 sub fitment help please.
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2009, 20:03 »
sounds like it could be a few things, firstly the earth id say, earthing it where a plastic gromet was is no good, dont forget the amount of power going down ure earth is very high, even if u get an ok earth as soon as you turn it up it will cut out or blow a fuse! id earth it to a seat belt bolt or similar a big bolt where theres no paint and clean metal with a good conection!

if this doesent work it could well be that the sub is running to high and cant handle the power ie: going into pertection mode so cutting in and out untill the fuse blows to stop it harming itself.

personally id start with finding a good earth, turning the amp off max if it is and then running it in, if still no joy check ure conections on to the amp as if power is jumping to neg terminal when its moving around the boot then this will blow it for shore!

if still nothing return it to halfords they normally have a way of testing them in store.

hope that helps

luke
awesome audio
*ITS A VAG THING......YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND*

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Re: mk4 sub fitment help please.
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2009, 09:51 »
reasonable place to earth is also in the passenger side cubby hole in the boot...there is usually a wire framed holder for the oil and first aid kit...this is attached by a bolt direct onto the body of the car...as the frame and the body are both completely metal a good grounding is found and easy enough to reach as well...particularly if you are using one that sits in the arch in the first place :wink:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi