Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54343 times)

Offline Caz

• GTI forum regular
  • VW Golf GT Sport TDi, Mk5, 08 plate
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #100 on: 09 April 2009, 20:05 »
But why are you asking questions that no one can answer??.. and whinging on about it for x amount of pages.. especially if youve 'come to an agreement'..

No need for the sarcastic comment either.. everyone else is being opinionated..  :smiley:
** it's nearly a GTi .. **

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #101 on: 09 April 2009, 20:46 »
A discussion forum is the ideal place to ask these sort of questions is it not? 

Questions that no one HAS answered is not the same as questions that CANT be answered.

Further petrol on the fire:

I emailed my dealer to see how much this cam belt change would cost.  They replied that VW did not recommend a cam belt change on my car till 100k miles  :shocked:  Its not like them to miss a chance to make cash either.

So what to make of that then?  Seems VW cant get their stories straight  :grin:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #102 on: 09 April 2009, 20:55 »

I emailed my dealer to see how much this cam belt change would cost.  They replied that VW did not recommend a cam belt change on my car till 100k miles  :shocked:  Its not like them to miss a chance to make cash either.

So what to make of that then?  Seems VW cant get their stories straight  :grin:

....Seems very clearly that your VW dealer simply isn't up to speed! Perhaps they should read the GTI Handbook.

[I've just noticed your sig - I'm very flattered that you quote my words :afro:]
« Last Edit: 09 April 2009, 20:57 by RedRobin »
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #103 on: 09 April 2009, 21:25 »
Indeed.

Wise words and very true.

Sadly however my experience of dealers just matches the stereotype.  Not just VW ones either.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #104 on: 09 April 2009, 22:00 »
^^^^
As everyone is doubtless tired of hearing, I've been extremely lucky with mine and also have made friends with quite a few people who work there - It makes all the difference.

:afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline DanoGTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #105 on: 09 April 2009, 22:12 »
You ARE lucky. I have to admit that the whole dealership interaction has really marred my buying experience this time. I normally love buying cars as it's great fun doing the research, joining forums, making new friends etc......

Only to be let down by the time you want to give the dealer some business. :(

I can only echo others' negative experiences so far - shame really, as they're just confirming the fact that when I get my car (not IF), they will have NO business from me in terms of servicing etc.

I will gladly take advice from places like this, as despite the dealer's best attempts, the information flow between the owners is MUCH better (and I've found this with RS246.com, ScoobyNet & GTI6.com  - my other car haunts that I still go to) It's the OWNERS that make the car :)

I'd sooner get cambelt advice from here :)

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #106 on: 10 April 2009, 10:01 »
ive got an 05 gti, was thinking about getting the cam belt done later in the year,

what else would you recommend i get done at the same time? water pump etc?

duffy

....T_T recommended the whole cambelt kit (not just the belt component), the waterpump, and the fuel filter. I took his advice at just over 60k miles and 3.7 years.

The fuel filter doesn't need doing at the exact same time as the cambelt (because the fuel filter is mounted under the rear of the car).

The waterpump change is a very good idea, simply because the waterpump is actually driven from the cam belt, so it would be prudent to get it done at the same time.

One other thing I would recommend doing with the cambelt is the mult-ribbed belt which drives the alternator.  Though this isn't crucial, because they are relatively easy to change.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #107 on: 10 April 2009, 10:01 »

:laugh: so we are all agreed that vw uk are robbing, thieving, scaremongering barstewards then? And cos we all know that prevention is better than cure we will all just goose step down to the dealers and hand them £400 ?   :laugh:

....Er, no!

Most of the VW dealers are doing this job for £290. Having had a cambelt go on a BMW I can assure you it is expensive - The engine was rebuilt as a consequence.
Cars have maintenance costs - End of story.

^^ x2 :afro:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #108 on: 10 April 2009, 10:22 »
Thing is Robin you could replace your brake pads every year / 10k miles.  It would be preventative mainenance and all that good stuff but I'm guessing you don't.  Because that would be daft.  You would be needlessly replacing them outwith a reasonable replacement cycle. Caveat: assuming no boy racer / granny driving etc etc

Nope - you still completely miss the point.  If you left your brake pads until they were completely worn out, then OK, this certainly is NOT recommended.  However, if you were to, your brakes would still work, sort of, the car would still get you from A to B (when driven very carefully).  And you would still need to pay for the cost new brake pads, and also the cost of new brake discs too - so not really a huge difference in prices.  But you havn't really been inconvenienced by not being unable to use your car.

But if you leave a cambelt on 'til it fails - it WILL cause major catastrophic damage to the car.  Firstly, the car will NOT go anywhere - the engine will NOT run, and it probably wont even turn over on the starter motor.  In MANY instances, when a cambelt fails, the engine usually locks up solid - imagine that when doing 70mph in lane 3 of a very busy motorway on a bank holiday, or late one night when your wife goes to pick up the kids from footy training, or whatever.  When a cambelt fails, you WILL be presented with a bill for at LEAST £1800, maybe £2500 to £3000.  Not to mention all the time and inconvenience without the car.

Pay the fcuking £300 every 4/5/6 years, and get the cambelt changed - BEFORE the engine goes bang!  :rolleyes:

You can accept the dealers line without question - and it is the safe / conservative way to go.  But frankly they are asking you to do work which is unnecessary.  In your case i think you had it done at the sensible mileage.  But many of us are no where near 60k after 4 years.  Its the 4 years I have a beef with.

You are splitting hairs now, and getting bogged down as to weather peeps will do certain miles in a certain timescale.  Volkswagen do NOT write out an 'individual service plan' for every single car they sell.  They use a 'one size fits all' (actually two, the LongLife and the T&D), so if you refuse to accept the manufacturers own recommended maintenance issues, be fully prepared for ALL the consequences of when things subsequently go wrong.

Of course cars cost money to maintain.  But VW, with the 4 years cycle are taking just a little pee out of their more naive customers.

You may be spot on, or maybe not.  We just do NOT know what the 'fail cycle' of the cam belts are - only Volkswagen Germany know that, along with their official importers in other countries such as Volkswagen UK.

But if you are so adamant to continue to stake your claim that VW UK are taking the piss, then make an official request under the Freedom of Information Act, and ask for the specific "Mean Time Between Failures of the timing belt on all variants of the two litre FSI turbo engine", and let us know what their reply is.  :rolleyes:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #109 on: 10 April 2009, 10:29 »
lol this whole thread and some ppls comments and attiudes make me laugh..

Sadly, Caz, I used to see it all the time in my own workshop.  But then those 'certain customers' then evolved into 'former-customers'.  Small businesses just don't need that kind of hassle, and especially in this economic climate!

if you dont like the maintenance of vw or their cars then go buy something else..

Yup, well said.  But then they would just end up with the same whinge on another forum!  :wink:

or if you really feel the need to have a vw and still moan, take it elsewhere..
I find it quite rude that someone with such knowledge has answered so many question and in soooo much detail and its still not good enough for some of you..

I have thick skin on certain issues.  :wink:

But yes, I do find it a little irritating - they get told the official advice by the main dealer, don't like what they hear, so come here to post for advice, and basically 99% of us here basically support what the dealer says, yet they still can't accept it - hey ho, can't win 'em all!

at the end of the way what you get told by dealers is what vw specify, so all in all, i really think you should get in touch with vw themselves.  :smiley:

Yup.  :smiley:
-----

I feel like a homo