Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 54350 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #30 on: 06 April 2009, 07:58 »

VW ADVISE that the cambelt is changed at 4 years OR 60k.. whichever comes first..
Its down to you as the owner to decide if you want it doing or not. If you choose not, then the dealer should make a note of it on their system, just for future ref.

also to do with that voucher.. it may only be valid at that dealer.. sometimes with mailers, dealers are able to buy into offers VW bring out.. maybe that was one, and this other dealer wasnt part of it. Also you may find a difference in labour costs. Id get you a quote, but it would be cheaper and poss down to that reason.

....It's exactly as Caz says - At least it is at my VW dealer's.

I've recently had mine done at 60k miles - Full kit including rollers etc plus water pump plus fuel filter. It's not worth risking leaving it because it could be extremely expensive otherwise.

:afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Trickyboy

• Here all the time
  • MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
« Reply #31 on: 06 April 2009, 08:49 »
Thanks for clearing that up guys  :smiley:

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 06 April 2009, 11:16 »
whats this fuel filter? And does anyone have a partnumber? I'm getting my cam belt, water pump etc done for circa £250 at a local Indy.

Where you getting that done mate?? £250 is a good deal!
So did you buy all the parts and then just pay the labour for it all to be done??

Offline No Golf Clubs at all

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 06 April 2009, 11:42 »
www.a4audi.co.uk great bunch of lads and very knowledgeable. Anyone got an idea on that fuel filter, I thought they were just on a diesel.

Let the fun begin........Red Gti, full colour coding, DSG, Xenons, Winter pack, Lux pack, Highline, Sat Nav, Sunroof, Leather, Milltek, ABT rear valance, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics....pescaras :-)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 06 April 2009, 12:20 »

VW ADVISE that the cambelt is changed at 4 years OR 60k.. whichever comes first..
Its down to you as the owner to decide if you want it doing or not. If you choose not, then the dealer should make a note of it on their system, just for future ref.

also to do with that voucher.. it may only be valid at that dealer.. sometimes with mailers, dealers are able to buy into offers VW bring out.. maybe that was one, and this other dealer wasnt part of it. Also you may find a difference in labour costs. Id get you a quote, but it would be cheaper and poss down to that reason.

....It's exactly as Caz says - At least it is at my VW dealer's.

I've recently had mine done at 60k miles - Full kit including rollers etc plus water pump plus fuel filter. It's not worth risking leaving it because it could be extremely expensive otherwise.

:afro:

I agree that 60k is the right time to change a cam belt.  Much less convinced with this 4 years nonsense  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 06 April 2009, 16:01 by ub7rm »
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Caz

• GTI forum regular
  • VW Golf GT Sport TDi, Mk5, 08 plate
« Reply #35 on: 06 April 2009, 13:52 »
I think i should write a post with all this info on it.lol  :grin:

although, isnt this info in the maintenance section at the top ^^ ??
** it's nearly a GTi .. **

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 06 April 2009, 14:29 »
Anyone got an idea on that fuel filter, I thought they were just on a diesel.

It's just by the rear axle. You need to get under the car to change it.

http://www.golfmkv.net/blog/archives/10
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline No Golf Clubs at all

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 06 April 2009, 15:25 »
excellent bacillus, thanks for that.  I guess i will get that done at the same time as all the other eyewateringly expensive 4th year work...

note to those coming to the end of 3rd year......perhaps an idea to do this early? then if theres any issues you are not going to be left high and dry by VW...nah they'd think a way round it to get out of paying for anything even then.

Let the fun begin........Red Gti, full colour coding, DSG, Xenons, Winter pack, Lux pack, Highline, Sat Nav, Sunroof, Leather, Milltek, ABT rear valance, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics....pescaras :-)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #38 on: 07 April 2009, 17:58 »
whats this fuel filter? And does anyone have a partnumber?

Well, as its name suggests, it filters the fuel!  :tongue:  :tongue:

But like the water pump, there is no 'scheduled' time or distance to replace it - but good practice would suggest that 40k miles is a good and cautious change, with an absolute max of 80k miles IMVHO.  Part number is 1K0 201 051 C, about £25 +vat - and if you do get it changed, plan to let your fuel tank run down to about a quarter (unless you want to lose a load of precious V-Power/Tesco 99 on the workshop floor!).

I'm getting my cam belt, water pump etc done for circa £250 at a local Indy.

That is a good price!  :wink:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #39 on: 07 April 2009, 18:04 »
Anyone got an idea on that fuel filter, I thought they were just on a diesel.

It's just by the rear axle. You need to get under the car to change it.

http://www.golfmkv.net/blog/archives/10

Typical thick Yanks - they completely failed to mention how to de-presurise the fuel circuit.  This should ALWAYS be done BEFORE any work on the fuel system!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo