Author Topic: MK5 GTI - Cambelt  (Read 53813 times)

Offline ravydav

• Not said much yet
Re: MK5 GTI - Cambelt
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2009, 16:33 »
If it failed after timimg belt been done it would be more than cambelt off, try head off to replace bent valves. Its not for the impeller breaking that ppl replace water pump at the same time, its due to possible bearing failure of pump after tensioning up new belt.Believe me i've seen it many times.

Offline rskardon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2009, 22:00 »
Just had a letter from VW saying that I need my cambelt changed as my car is 4 years old this month despite the fact that its only on 42k. (a full 18k less than the recommended mileage). Now is there any need to change it after 4 years or am I perfectly safe to wait till I git to big 60k? Im trying to save some money for a Miltek and having to get this changed is going to make a massive dent in that effort.

Iv also been given a voucher thing to get it done for £299 all in.

£299 is a bargain, my quotes have all been £470-£500, was the voucher sent by your dealer or by VW head office, how do you reckon i could get hold of one?

Thanks,

R

Offline TomB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2009, 14:38 »
My local dealer (Wayside Towcester) does all 4 cylinder cambelt changes at £285 all in.  A bargain if you ask me, and I'm in the trade!
Tom
MK5 Golf GTI in Tornado Red

Offline mitchGTI

• Not said much yet
  • MK5 GTI
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2009, 18:58 »
well by the sounds of this my cambelt must need doing then, mines a 05 with 28k, and its due service and mot next month ouch!

mitch
GTi gone! : ( replaced with....

Metalic black S3.... Standard!.... For now....

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2009, 21:55 »

I've just had mine done at 62k miles - The whole cambelt kit plus water pump plus fuel filter.

I've got a £290 voucher to give away but you'd have to come to my dealer in Dorchester to use it.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2009, 22:36 »
Yours is 05 aswell isnt it RR?

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2009, 23:31 »

Yours is 05 aswell isnt it RR?

....Yes. 62k in 3.5 years.

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2009, 15:18 »

I've just had mine done at 62k miles - The whole cambelt kit plus water pump plus fuel filter.

Did you manage to get any pix of the old belt and tensioners?  If you still have the old belt, if you can turn it inside out, so that the teeth are pointing outwards, and get a closeup of between the teeth - I'd be much obliged.  :smiley:

I've got a £290 voucher to give away but you'd have to come to my dealer in Dorchester to use it.

Shweeet.  I might just have to have a motoring hol down in lovely Dorset!  :wink:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2009, 15:38 »
Phoned up my local dealer (VW Croydon) and explained to them the situation (I bought the car from VW Maidstone and have this voucher for a cambelt change for £299 but would rather not drive to Maidstone and go to them instead). He said to me £470. I then said I dont think you heard me, VW Maidstone will do it for £299 lol. He said that is going to have to call me back to see what he can sort out. 2 days later and I still have heard nothing so looks like I will be taking a little trip to Maidstone.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2009, 15:53 »
^^^^
Alan - £375 is the normal VW dealer price (I'm told) and £290 the voucher price that VW dealers are able to offer.

T_T - My spare voucher (I was given the discount without the voucher) is valid "90 days from 11th Feb 09" and only at Dorchester. If you are at an appropriate mileage etc you are welcome to use it. PM/email me if so.

:afro: