Author Topic: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?  (Read 10015 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Re: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2009, 20:16 »
where did you get the German Castrol from?

Off google. Went to take a pic of my own bottle but realised it was in the garage and couldn't be arsed. Didn't notice the german bit but the rest of the bottle matched what I have. And yes, bought it from stealer.

Offline brian g

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2009, 21:07 »
TT, i'm well aware that american fuel isn't good enough to run lean burn mode
but saying american tuners don't include lean burn mode for EU based cars is wrong

I'm not going to quote from what was said exactly because i can't be bothered doing a search but I remember it being said on here some months ago that Regal used their own car (demo RSS) for the development of Giac UK software and they didn't modify the lean burn part of the file, why would they need to? Awesome work very closely with APR in house with their software development so who does that leave?

Offline bobotheclown

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 03 March 2009, 09:28 »
the oil warning light just appeared at 8890 miles. topped it up with the 1 liter 5w40 that came with the car. Service warning has appeared. I need to get it serviced in the next 500 miles or 120 days. Oh well.

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 03 March 2009, 09:44 »
In regards to warming her up........
When warming up do you mean starting the engine and leaving it idle until the engine warms up - since some people state this is best for the engine. Or can you drive as soon as you start up, but with a 'light foot' until the engine is warm - when you can then become a crazy maniac?!

Offline bobotheclown

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 03 March 2009, 09:59 »
I don't drive like a maniac until the speedo temperature gauge reaches 90.

neo66

« Reply #35 on: 03 March 2009, 10:33 »
Would the RON fuel type matter in oil consumption??
I always try to use super unleaded-99% RON. Not this 97% super unleaded!?.

Offline rskardon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 03 March 2009, 14:55 »
In regards to warming her up........
When warming up do you mean starting the engine and leaving it idle until the engine warms up - since some people state this is best for the engine. Or can you drive as soon as you start up, but with a 'light foot' until the engine is warm - when you can then become a crazy maniac?!

I take it easy until the temp guage has been at the 90 mark for a few minutes, normally takes aoround 10 mins to fully warm up, I believe its pretty bad for a car to be warmed up without driving, in fact i think it may state not to do this in the manual somewhere.

Offline wax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2009, 00:25 »
Not knowing this information about the loss of oil, i checked my ed30 this evening. the level is right in the middle of min-max. Is it ok there or should i try keep it more towards max?

I've only owned the car for 1000miles@18k, so cant really comment on oil consumption just yet.
Mugen RR-SOLD / Golf Edition 30-SOLD / MY06 Impreza Spec C Type RA / MK6 Golf GTI - Candy White

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 05 March 2009, 12:03 »
As long as its in between, you'll be fine.

So does a light come on, on the dash to inform you of a low engine oil level, or is it a case of manually checking all every so often??

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #39 on: 05 March 2009, 12:06 »
Obviously a light does come on to warn of low level in your oil but you should never get that low in the first place. I check my fluid levels on coolant oil etc every 2 weeks or so, some say it should be done weekly.