Author Topic: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?  (Read 9919 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2009, 12:42 »
FYI I have stuck in 1.5 litres since I bought her and have done 12,000.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2009, 12:43 »
Where is TT when you need him?

iirc VW considers up to 1200 miles for 1 litre of oil as within spec.

No, the official VW spec is 1 litre of oil per 1000 kilometers.  And this is fairly standard throughout all the European motor manufacturers.

But the important thing to remember is that the more 'higher performance' the engine is, the more likely they are to use more oil.

And equally as important, correct running in is absolutely vital.  Modern VAG high performance engines are known to drink oil for the first 3-5k miles, but providing they are correctly run in, will actually settle down after that to barely a dribble of oil.

Oh, and can I not even make a brew now without you nagging me?  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2009, 12:57 »
I asked my garage about this and the mechanic said that modern vw / audi engines weren't as 'tight' as they used to so there was less friction and therefore more efficient / lower emissions but as a side effect more oil was being consumed.  Made sense to me...

Actually, it is the opposite really.  Modern VAG engines (and again, most European engines, including Mercs and Beemers) are made to much tighter tollerances.  However, due to these tighter tollerances, the cylinder bores are 'honed' in a special (and different to old skool) way when the engine is made.  Under a microscope, these honing processes produce quite large peaks and troughs on the cylinder wall.  The oil will obiously sit in the troughs, and until the engine is correctly run in, will actually burn that oil.  As the engine correctly beds in, these peaks and troughs are reduced, and the quantity of oil able to be 'stored' in the troughs gets much less, hence less is burnt.  :nerd:

Now, understanding the above, another important comment is regarding the 'stratified' mode and general fueling on European variants of the FSI engines - and remaps.  Under certain conditions, ALL FSI engines will over fuel - this can actually 'wash' the oil from the cylinder bores, making the oil burn even more readily.  But under lean burn or 'stratified' mode, less oil will be burned.  Now most of the US orgininated maps do not have the stratified mode enabled - so by using one of these said maps, not only are you likely to burn more oil (and suffer the subsequent effect of reducing the life of your catalytic convertors and lambda sensors), but you are also highly likely to suffer from accelerated engine wear.  :smug:  So, if you are considering a remap, try and choose one from a dedicated UK or EU tuner, rather than a North American originated tuner.  And if you actually have a remap with user selectable options, try and limit your high fuel settings, and instead use the boost and timing to experiment with.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2009, 13:38 »
 And if you actually have a remap with user selectable options, try and limit your high fuel settings, and instead use the boost and timing to experiment with.
Interesting stuff TT.

Wonder if this is why revo choose to use the lowest fuel setting i.e. leanest as default on their maps.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline rskardon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2009, 15:00 »
Had mine for 10,000miles now and it hasnt dropped a mm, i always warm it up/down before and after a good hard run, i read somewhere ther engine is likely to burn more oil if its cold. My car had done over 40k so it may also just be more run in,

Cheers,

R

neo66

« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2009, 15:25 »
ok, the statistics!!
Bought the car at 17K miles when it was less than a year old! (registered October 2007).
I believe the owner b4 me(1st owner) did alot of motor way miles. (hence got traded in 4 a diesel).
I,ve had it a year this summer and the mileage is now at 22K. (don't do alot of mileage what so ever!)
I try let it warm up but not always possible sometimes.
And it gets driven like a pussy to be honest because I dont wanna break it!! (but I've heard they need a bit of abuse these VW engines).

Sure it doesn't say LL oil on the bottle tho!

???????????????

Cheers guys & girls.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2009, 15:43 »
I try let it warm up but not always possible sometimes.

Restraint when cold really does make sense.  The vast majority of engine wear actually occurs when the engine, and engine oil are cold (or to be pedant, not at the correct operating temperature).

And it gets driven like a pussy to be honest because I dont wanna break it!! (but I've heard they need a bit of abuse these VW engines).

That can actually be worse than letting the car rev freely (again, when at the correct operating temperature).  Babying a car can actually cause acids to form in the engine oil - which can then eat away the insides of your engine.

Sure it doesn't say LL oil on the bottle tho!

It may not have the physical words 'LongLife' - but it probably has "VW 504.00/507.00" - which is the VW LongLife 3 oil standard.  :wink:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2009, 16:14 »
ive had 2 brand new gti,s and i really looked after mine (like a new born baby) taking it easy when cold and let and run in gently etc and both have drank the oil especially the ed30, i guess its seems ive been unluckly with mine on the oil side of things
P.s my mate also had one from brand new and that drank it
« Last Edit: 02 March 2009, 16:16 by carl1 »
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 March 2009, 16:27 »
ive had 2 brand new gti,s and i really looked after mine (like a new born baby) taking it easy when cold and let and run in gently etc and both have drank the oil especially the ed30, i guess its seems ive been unluckly with mine on the oil side of things

Then they really havn't been run in correctly, or get driven hard enough to correctly bed in the piston rings to the cylinder bores.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2009, 16:47 »

Then they really havn't been run in correctly, or get driven hard enough to correctly bed in the piston rings to the cylinder bores.
i followed manufacturers guide in manual, i did drive them hard now and then when run in and remember thinking is this a diesel as i looked in the rear mirror. Loved the cars but this annoyed me a little, ive had 2 r32s and neither has used a drop so far (touch wood  :smiley:) Also my first r32 had on longlife and after a year and 14k miles of ownership the oil was very clean.
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(