Author Topic: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?  (Read 9953 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: 1 Litre oil top up every 2 months sound right?
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2009, 18:19 »
I think the explanation the mechanic gave me was the standard explanation to a layman so thanks for expanding on that TT.

Though I understand all thats been said its a little dissatisfying coming from my old 1.8T which had nearly 90k on the clock and didn't need any oil from service to service to a more modern engine that needs topped up every couple of months or so.  Again I appreciate that this may be due to the original owner not running it in properly but then maybe VW could have educated them a bit better at handover as running your new car in by giving it plenty of revs is against conventional wisdom - almost counter intuative. 

2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2009, 18:35 »
Redline the car as often as you can.  The best oil in the world won't prevent the wear you need under these thrashing circumstances.
That wear beds in the rings and your oil consumption will drop to near zero.

These modern oils are just so good if you don't rev the engine it never beds in, glugging oil down until a thrasher gets hold of the car.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2009, 19:32 »
Sure it doesn't say LL oil on the bottle tho!
It may not have the physical words 'LongLife' - but it probably has "VW 504.00/507.00" - which is the VW LongLife 3 oil standard.  :wink:

^^^
It's a clicky. HAve a look in the bottom right corner

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2009, 19:36 »
Sure it doesn't say LL oil on the bottle tho!
It may not have the physical words 'LongLife' - but it probably has "VW 504.00/507.00" - which is the VW LongLife 3 oil standard.  :wink:

^^^
It's a clicky. HAve a look in the bottom right corner

Yup, that is the 'trade' version of Castrol Edge 5w30.  And if you look on the rear of the bottle, it should have those 504.00 etc numbers.  But the bottom right is just a 'packaging' part number which Castrol use.  BTW, where did you get the German Castrol from?

Awaits next pic from the Stealth.  :tongue:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

neo66

« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2009, 19:40 »
Think I will experiment by giving it a few beans then for a while!, just dont like driving like a C%Nt!!

Offline lincolnmk5

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2009, 19:56 »
Mine uses a bit , does that mean if I give it a good thrashing for a while my oil consumption will drop even though it is on 22000 miles , or does the hard driving need doing at run in to have an impact
Scott Kerr is Lincoln Citys captain , Scott Kerr for king

Offline vwtroy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2009, 19:58 »
My Ed30 has used less than 500ml in 7000 miles and I'm happy with that :smiley:
                                                                   ED30 1619/Bluefin/Eibach Sportsline/Jetex Filter/Powerflex dogbone bush.

Offline brian g

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2009, 20:00 »
i've had my GTi for exactly a year, got it with 35k, have done just under 5k (use the wifes car a lot)

i have only put in 210ml in that time so I guess the consumption must go down with miles

TT thanks for explaining the reasons for the oil consmption but i don't agree with your theory on the American based tuners not having tuned files that include lean burn mode, unless you have hard evidence that they don't then I don't think this advice is relevant at all
I noticed you carefully didn't mention any actual names

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2009, 20:04 »
Mine uses a bit , does that mean if I give it a good thrashing for a while my oil consumption will drop even though it is on 22000 miles,

Yup.  Obviously, make sure it is thoroughly warm before opening her up.  But you do need to regularly be hitting the red line, and and after a couple of thou miles, you should notice a real improvement in the oil consumption.

or does the hard driving need doing at run in to have an impact

Ideally, then yes.  But it can be done at any time.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2009, 20:15 »
TT thanks for explaining the reasons for the oil consmption but i don't agree with your theory on the American based tuners not having tuned files that include lean burn mode, unless you have hard evidence that they don't then I don't think this advice is relevant at all
I noticed you carefully didn't mention any actual names

Erm - it is a well-known and simple matter of fact.  All North American FSI engines have the lean burn mode disabled.  Look it up in any of the online official Self Study Guides.

The reason why American motors have lean burn disabled - well they dont have the 'ultra low sulphur' unleaded petrols like we do in the UK and Europe.  Again, it is well known that North American unleaded petrols have a high sulphur content.  Now, under true lean burn conditions, the combustion temperatures reach such high levels, that nasty things start happening with any sulphur content - which is exactly why VAG FSI engines have their lean burn or 'stratified' mode disabled.  The same happened when Mitsubishi developed their GDI engine - they where completely unable to use it it the US and Canada, becuase Mitsubishi were not willing to disable their own lean burn mode.

And as for 'naming' and shaming certain tuning companies - well this has been discussed at length - and when one particular tuning company tried to come out with some BS that they were able to 'get hold of UK specific ECUs' - well, they were shown up for the frauds that they were!  :rolleyes:
-----

I feel like a homo