Author Topic: high idle problems caused by throttle switches!  (Read 4453 times)

vwsystems

i may have told you this but here it is again! if i havent!

there has been queit a few people with high idle problems. and most people seem to think its an isv fault or something to do with the temp sender but as long as the isv is buzzing and clean it isnt the isv...........

i have had the same problem with my idle for years
it just wouldnt settle! or it would idle high and then drop and keep revving up! very annoying...and the cause the throttle switches! one controls the idle and tells the ecu when  the throttle is closed and puts it in idle mode! and the other one does the full throtttle.

i only found out that the switch was faulty when i brought another throttle from a mate and he said the throttle switches dont work........... so i plugged my connector on it and they were still on the throttle body which i brought and all of a sudden it idled! i opened the throttle in my hand and closed it it reved up and then idled so thats how i knew it was the throttle switches! the lad was right one of the switches didnt work but i'm glad the idle one did as this was the only was i found out it was the switches if i hadnt of done this i'd have still had the revving up problems!

and all long i use to keep tapping the isv thinking it was this when it wasnt! >:(

it even went to circus side and they just screwed the idle all the way in it was pretty tight! so it proves they know naff all about electronic idle problems!

god help them with the mk 5 faults........ if they cant fix a 17 year old car how the hell are they going to fix a car which everything is controled electronicly! ;D

so if your idle has never been right and is always idling high or starts to you know what it may be!

on saying that the wiring can snap and this causes the same problem........ if the wiring to the throttle switches look ok get a mutimeter on it and it should read 5v with ignition on if it doesnt then theres a break in the wiring!

so in the future if any idle problems appear just remember to see if all of the switches on the engine work ok!!

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re:high idle problems caused by throttle switches!
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2004, 18:15 »
Thanks for the info!

My car always seems to idle on 1100 revs constantly, sounds like the switchs could be the problem!

As I am pretty new to all of this, can you show me with a pic where the switches are, and how much are these to replace?

Cheers
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

vwsystems

« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2004, 20:11 »
i think they were about ?43 they are located on top of the throttle body!

i'll try and get some pics............

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2004, 12:42 »
Thanks mate, i'll wait for the pics :)
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2004, 14:08 »
deefadog, 16v idle is between 950-1050rpm

if anything set your MFA into diagnostic mode and it will give you a digital display of the revs's - this is a lot more accurate than the clock

to set your idle

get the car upto running temp
turn engine off
disconnect the red wire coming from the coil (this turns the ISV off)
disconnect the engine breather at the airbox end
start the car
adjust the idle screw till its at 1000rpm
turn the car off again
re-connect the red wire
and thats your idle set

if it wont sit at a steady idle but flucuates up n down by +-50rpm then you need to get the CO level adjusted to 2%

golfvr6

« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2004, 17:38 »
You SHOULD do the idle AND the co adjustment, as they are linked.

Offline coco777

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2004, 18:18 »
Quote from: Gambit
if it wont sit at a steady idle but flucuates up n down by +-50rpm then you need to get the CO level adjusted to 2%
[quote

Quote from: Haynes Manual A long fast drive should reduce the CO
content to the correct level.
Alternatively an oil change will achieve this.[quote

golfvr6

« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2004, 18:23 »
How will an oil change reduce the co level  ???

Offline coco777

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2004, 21:07 »

dunno m8....but thats what it says....4F.2 ???

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2004, 21:24 »
??? ??? ??? wtf?