GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:27

Title: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:27
I know I know, the stealers.  But short of that, does anyone know anywhere that sells them?  Mines pretty much faded all of the time now :(
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 27 March 2008, 20:29
I know I know, the stealers.  But short of that, does anyone know anywhere that sells them?  Mines pretty much faded all of the time now :(

you'll need another set of complete clocks mate; no way around that  :sad:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:31
Grrr, that is so annoying.  You know it's going to be stupidly expensive too!!

I wonder if there's any way of installing the nicer Audi trip computer instead :)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 27 March 2008, 20:33
Grrr, that is so annoying.  You know it's going to be stupidly expensive too!!

I wonder if there's any way of installing the nicer Audi trip computer instead :)

clocks are different shape i believe.

Best bet is to get a set of 2nd hand clocks and get them recoded.  what year is your car? will determine what you can fit as they move from Immobilser 2 to 3 during production.

You'll also need the SKC code of the new clocks to code them to your car and your keys.

its doable but takes a bit of know how and VAG COM
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:34
Mines a 1999 T reg.
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: richw911 on 27 March 2008, 20:39
Bora sport clocks it is then..... :afro: more mods  :grin:

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/richw911/borasport.jpg)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:42
Bora sport clocks it is then..... :afro: more mods  :grin:

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/richw911/borasport.jpg)
I REALLY like that!!!
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:43
Is this the right thing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-BORA-MK4-ANNIVERSARY-SPEEDO-CLOCKS_W0QQitemZ230235489662QQihZ013QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: richw911 on 27 March 2008, 20:45
Is this the right thing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-BORA-MK4-ANNIVERSARY-SPEEDO-CLOCKS_W0QQitemZ230235489662QQihZ013QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yep that are the nuts IMO :afro:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:46
So it isn't a straight swap...  Is it definitely going to work in an old 1999 Golf?
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 27 March 2008, 20:48
So it isn't a straight swap...  Is it definitely going to work in an old 1999 Golf?

should work i think.

your current clocks are Immob 2; they will be 3 so are backwards compatible  :smiley:

you also need to ensure that you get the same clocks as i think there are 3 manufacturers
VDO
Motometer
Bosch
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:48
God I'm always asking questions!!

If I buy one of those does anyone know roughly what I need to do to get it working?  Is it like you said, faffing around getting it sorted?  Reckon a garage could do it?
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 27 March 2008, 20:49
God I'm always asking questions!!

If I buy one of those does anyone know roughly what I need to do to get it working?  Is it like you said, faffing around getting it sorted?  Reckon a garage could do it?

dealer or someone like Awesome GTI should be able to sort them for an hours labour or so.  Give Awesome a ring and see what they say  :smiley:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:52
Awesome eh, good idea!  I'll see what they say :)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 27 March 2008, 20:53
Awesome eh, good idea!  I'll see what they say :)

full of good ideas me!! not so good for your wallet  :grin: :grin: :wink:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 20:54
If I don't get the trip computer sorted it's going to bug be until the day I get another car  :grin:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: richw911 on 27 March 2008, 20:55
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/110653/758598.aspx#758598
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 23:13
Excellent read!  How god damn sexy is that??

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/unclehuey/ae.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/unclehuey/ac.jpg)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 27 March 2008, 23:20
Guys, question.

If I get a new speedo thingy in my car, will it still show the correct mileage??
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Immortal on 28 March 2008, 00:06
Excellent read!  How god damn sexy is that??

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/unclehuey/ae.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/unclehuey/ac.jpg)

I want a full FIS now!
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Rhyso on 28 March 2008, 08:37
Guys, question.

If I get a new speedo thingy in my car, will it still show the correct mileage??

you get your new clocks recoded to the car to show the correct mileage :afro:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: iMation on 28 March 2008, 08:57
having sat nav through the clocks  screen is ace
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Ashmond on 28 March 2008, 09:17
I got a set of 1.8t clocks with trip comp if you want to buy them off me, how does £60 delivered sound?
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 28 March 2008, 09:56
how come? have you replaced yours or something? i'm trying to get a bora clock at the moment. if i have no luck i may be interested!
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: GTi-Matt on 28 March 2008, 12:21
i want those bora clocks now there lush, i take it u dont lose the red and blue colour?
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Ashmond on 28 March 2008, 12:38
how come? have you replaced yours or something? i'm trying to get a bora clock at the moment. if i have no luck i may be interested!

I got anni clocks in now, hence why 1st set of 160mph clocks are no use to me.

They are still red and blue, check my project thread ;)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: GTi-Matt on 28 March 2008, 12:44
(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg135/matty821/warpspeed2-full.jpg)

bit blurry but u do stil get the colour, i want them
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Ashmond on 28 March 2008, 12:46
(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/AshmondJ/DSC01801.jpg)

You can see them, the dials light up same way as the standard clocks

(my headliner still looks awesome)  :grin:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 28 March 2008, 19:06
I want a pretty speedo clock thing :)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: bobbarley on 30 March 2008, 00:42
Guys, I've got a bid on these:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230235489662&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=013

I've heard from someone on mkivs that if I put it into my AGU car I'll no longer have the current MPG or average MPG options?  Does that sound like a load of crap?  If my car is capable of those details, and the new clock is, why would I lose the option?

They also said because I have an AGU car I won't be able to get the light up needles, or miles to empty or anything.

It's starting to sound like a pointless upgrade  :embarassed:
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Mikester on 30 March 2008, 08:22
http://www.scangauge.com/

These are meant to be really good, plugs into your ecu plug and can display anthing that has a sensor, and works out loads of stuff too.

Mate has one, didnt rate it from the website, but now ive seen it, its pretty neat ;)
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: 20vt_paul on 31 March 2008, 11:25
(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s105/AshmondJ/DSC01801.jpg)

You can see them, the dials light up same way as the standard clocks

(my headliner still looks awesome)  :grin:


Where's your airbag gone
Title: Re: I need a new trip computer
Post by: Ashmond on 31 March 2008, 12:52
I havent got one yet, its not a vw steering wheel its an s3 one (I got it for a tena) will be getting airbag this weekend probably