GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 14:53

Title: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 14:53
Have seceded to replace both rear wheel bearings as the passenger side on sounds like it needs replacing.
Is it beat to get ones from VW or will a kits from any motor factor be just as good?
Also how much is a kit from VW?
Are they tricky to do and will I need any special tools?
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Golf_GT_TDI on 08 May 2012, 14:58
You'll need a decent puller, I have bearing kits up in for sale section  :wink:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 15:01
You'll need a decent puller, I have bearing kits up in for sale section  :wink:

Is the puller to get the brake disc off?
Haynes manual don't say anything about a puller.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 08 May 2012, 15:13
For starters what are your rear discs like as if they're nearing the end of their lives its not worth messing about trying to remove old bearing races.
New discs and new bearings is so much quicker and easier and rules out the need for pullers.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: clipperjay on 08 May 2012, 15:14
+1 :smiley:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 15:19
Hhhhmmmm that s a good point.
They could de with being changed actuly.
Plus I can put it all together then just swap discs over.
What size is the hub nut by the way? Need to see if I have the correct size socket.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: bluquarta on 08 May 2012, 16:50
got some last week from tierod on ebay. Febi Bilstein ones, around a fiver each I think. Febi stuff is good oem quality.

these guys do the same ones but slightly dearer with delivery

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: spikenipple on 08 May 2012, 17:51
You don't really need pullers to get the old bearing races out, just use a soft drift and a mallet. The disc should have 3 grooves exposing the back face of the race so you can tap it out by going round sequentially.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 19:59
ok cheers. iv rang my local car shop and they will do me rear discs and 2 bearing kits all for £40
my pads seem ok. is it ok to use the current bads with new discs?
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: kahunajb on 08 May 2012, 20:03
No replace pads they will have worn to the shape off your old discs I.e. grooves etc. They are cheap enough anyway but have heard of people giving then a rub down to flatten them off if they are newish but I would just replace.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: leigh_harty on 08 May 2012, 20:16
No replace pads they will have worn to the shape off your old discs I.e. grooves etc. They are cheap enough anyway but have heard of people giving then a rub down to flatten them off if they are newish but I would just replace.

Plus you might need a caliper wind tool if you havent got one.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Khare on 08 May 2012, 20:25
Either that or circlip pliers to wind them back. Just DO NOT push them back as you'll damage them.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 20:30
Either that or circlip pliers to wind them back. Just DO NOT push them back as you'll damage them.

really? i was planning on just pushing them back  :grin:

so i need a propper tool to change the brakes on mk3 golf? so what does the tool do diferantly than push it in?
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: spikenipple on 08 May 2012, 20:37
The pistons wind back in rather than just pushing back in. Pushing them in will get you nowhere and if you force them will just damage the caliper.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 08 May 2012, 20:44
oh ok cheers.
do they all go clockwise or is it diferant on each side?
been looking at wind back tools on ebay.
so can i do it with a circlip pliers aswell then. may just buy some of them instead as they will be cheaper probbly
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Khare on 08 May 2012, 20:48
You can use water pump pliers as well to turn the piston. It's just the rears that wind back, the fronts just just push in.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: spikenipple on 08 May 2012, 20:49
If you use circlip pliers, get some decent, beefy 90 degree ones. I used a pissy little pair of 45 degrees and it was a total ball ache   :undecided:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 08 May 2012, 21:26
Tbh I wouldn't waste my time with circlip pliers as some of the rear calipers ive done have been pretty tight to wind back even with the proper tool. £15/ £20 well spent if you ask me and it's there in the tool box for when you ever need it again.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 09 May 2012, 11:34
what size socket do i need for the hub nuts? also are they 12 point nuts or normal nuts?
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: gasketface on 09 May 2012, 12:33
Do'nt forget your ABS rings off of your old discs if your new discs do'nt have any on  :smiley:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 09 May 2012, 16:45
anybody no the hub nut size?  :undecided: :grin:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Dogbot on 09 May 2012, 17:06
anybody no the hub nut size?  :undecided: :grin:

Errr..... A common size found in socket sets........  :grin: :laugh: :rolleyes:

I think its 17mm... or 19mm.......  but it wont be much tighter than finger tight if theres movement in them tbh.....
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: mad4vws on 09 May 2012, 17:19
 pretty sure the hub nut size is 22 or 24 not 17 or 19 mm. :grin: :wink: :smiley:
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 09 May 2012, 17:26
Are you lot mad? They are about 30mm ain't they? There's no way they are 17 or even 20  :grin:
I ask as I think the biggest socket bit I have is 30mm and if it was bigger I would have to drive 15 miles to nick one off me dad  :grin: didn't want to take the wheel of and the cap just to realise I Gota put it all back on and drive to get one.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Screech16v on 09 May 2012, 18:00
If your on about the. rears you wont need a socket as it shouldnt be tight enough to warrant one,just grip it with some pliers.
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: Dogbot on 09 May 2012, 19:44
Haha yes where did I get 17 from, that's the stub axle bolt size pmsl, the crown nut is more like a 24, just looked at one I have in the door pocket, I know my front nuts are 30, I know for sure the size needed is in my cheapi socket set that goes from 8-32mm so you'll have it... Unless you lost it pmsl
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: stainesy on 09 May 2012, 20:08
lol ok sweet. cheers
Title: Re: Rear wheel bearings.
Post by: thai-wronghorse on 09 May 2012, 22:41
Once the split pin is removed you shouldn't require a socket, if you do then I'd be seriously concerned at why you've been driving it whilst it was seized!