Author Topic: Rear wheel bearings.  (Read 4721 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Rear wheel bearings.
« on: 08 May 2012, 14:53 »
Have seceded to replace both rear wheel bearings as the passenger side on sounds like it needs replacing.
Is it beat to get ones from VW or will a kits from any motor factor be just as good?
Also how much is a kit from VW?
Are they tricky to do and will I need any special tools?

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 886
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2012, 14:58 »
You'll need a decent puller, I have bearing kits up in for sale section  :wink:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2012, 15:01 »
You'll need a decent puller, I have bearing kits up in for sale section  :wink:

Is the puller to get the brake disc off?
Haynes manual don't say anything about a puller.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2012, 15:13 »
For starters what are your rear discs like as if they're nearing the end of their lives its not worth messing about trying to remove old bearing races.
New discs and new bearings is so much quicker and easier and rules out the need for pullers.


Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 15:19 »
Hhhhmmmm that s a good point.
They could de with being changed actuly.
Plus I can put it all together then just swap discs over.
What size is the hub nut by the way? Need to see if I have the correct size socket.

Offline bluquarta

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 196
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2012, 16:50 »
got some last week from tierod on ebay. Febi Bilstein ones, around a fiver each I think. Febi stuff is good oem quality.

these guys do the same ones but slightly dearer with delivery

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

Offline spikenipple

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 644
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2012, 17:51 »
You don't really need pullers to get the old bearing races out, just use a soft drift and a mallet. The disc should have 3 grooves exposing the back face of the race so you can tap it out by going round sequentially.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2012, 19:59 »
ok cheers. iv rang my local car shop and they will do me rear discs and 2 bearing kits all for £40
my pads seem ok. is it ok to use the current bads with new discs?

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Rear wheel bearings.
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2012, 20:03 »
No replace pads they will have worn to the shape off your old discs I.e. grooves etc. They are cheap enough anyway but have heard of people giving then a rub down to flatten them off if they are newish but I would just replace.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2012, 20:10 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance