GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: trog_nfs on 24 April 2012, 14:55
-
Hi guys,
Well I've lowered my car (finally), on sachs shocks and eibach sportline springs.
I'm very happy with the way the car now rides and handles (why VW didn't have a setup like this from factory I'll never know).
(http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h327/trog_nfs/2012-04-24140550.jpg)
Anyway, this brings me on to my question.
I like the way the car sits at the back, low enough for me and my driveway.
However, I think the front looks a little too high, exagerated by the smaller 195/50 tyres only on the front. (My driveway slopes to the right in this peak too)
Would a set of lowering spring caps bring it down a bit more and make it look a bit better?
http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=19547&manufacturer=JOM&category=Suspension
(http://www.venommotorsport.com/images/categories/suspension/jom/products/medium/springcap.jpg)
Views and opinions welcome.
Cheers
-
I was thinking the same myself as i have adjustable ride height on my rears and it sits slightly lower than the front aswell.
-
The front of my valver sits lower than that on Eibach Sportline springs. Were they the correct ones? VR6 & TDI front springs have different spring rates on the front due to the heavier engines.
-
I was thinking the same myself as i have adjustable ride height on my rears and it sits slightly lower than the front aswell.
The rear struts are adjustable on mine as well and if anything they could come down a fraction to match the front ride height.
-
Here's a couple of pitctures of mine lowered on Sportline springs with FK lowering caps on the front which are supposed to lower an extra 10mm. Would say my rear looks about the same as yours but the front looks much lower. I would bounce the front of the car up and down on each corner to see if they settle down a bit if you have just fitted them.
(http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z473/kahunajb/IMAG0023.jpg)
(http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z473/kahunajb/IMAG0020-1.jpg)
-
Been there and done that.... make sure you get the right ones as there are 2 different types for the mk3. And on mine it didn't allow the bearing in the top mount seat properly and do its job, so I had all manner of thunks and problems.
Polybush top mounts are meant to drop the front 15mm. I have read of people using Polo 6n top mounts too?
-
Just had a look on Venom's website there are two different types but they are for the early and latter mk3's the difference being one has a 65mm spring pig tale and the other an 80mm. It does not look like they do different springs for different engine models therefore mine is a 16v and if yours is an 8v it is going to sit a little higher anyway.
Also make sure your top mounts and spring caps are seated correctly however I would get some lowering caps in any case as the standard mk3 front sits higher than the rear.
-
Mine is also 16v and is just like Kahuna's.
-
They have still a little to settle. Only fitted them a week or so ago.
I'm sure they are the right ones, got them for christmas from the other half.
I've just checked and for the later cars the same springs are listed for the vr6 and other models. Would this be why? Mines a later model (97)
-
If yours is a 97 you need the later springs. As far as I am aware the same springs are for the the vr6 so will sit higher on the 8v than the vr. Does that make sense?
-
If yours is a 97 you need the later springs. As far as I am aware the same springs are for the the vr6 so will sit higher on the 8v than the vr. Does that make sense?
Thats what I just said just the other way round :tongue:
But yours is a later car as well yet it looks loads lower. Hmmm. Lowering caps look like the best bet.
Do you recommend the FK caps over the JOMs then?
-
Screw it I've ordered some. :grin:
-
They will make a liitle difference but I would check what springs you have fitted, VR spec will not lower a 8v much.
-
They will make a liitle difference but I would check what springs you have fitted, VR spec will not lower a 8v much.
There isn't a none VR option for the later cars from eibach as far as I can see Wayne
-
They will make a liitle difference but I would check what springs you have fitted, VR spec will not lower a 8v much.
There isn't a none VR option for the later cars from eibach as far as I can see Wayne
Well VR will be the same as TDI so heavier duty to cope with the extra engine weight, they should not be the same as a 8v.
-
They will make a liitle difference but I would check what springs you have fitted, VR spec will not lower a 8v much.
There isn't a none VR option for the later cars from eibach as far as I can see Wayne
Well VR will be the same as TDI so heavier duty to cope with the extra engine weight, they should not be the same as a 8v.
If you look at venom motorsport for example, only two suspension kits are listed. Early four cylinder and later four cylinder, diesel and vr.
http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufacturer_product.php?manufacturer=Eibach&category=suspension&product=SportlineSprings&make=VW&model=Golf%20Mk%203
-
They will make a liitle difference but I would check what springs you have fitted, VR spec will not lower a 8v much.
There isn't a none VR option for the later cars from eibach as far as I can see Wayne
Well VR will be the same as TDI so heavier duty to cope with the extra engine weight, they should not be the same as a 8v.
If you look at venom motorsport for example, only two suspension kits are listed. Early four cylinder and later four cylinder, diesel and vr.
http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufacturer_product.php?manufacturer=Eibach&category=suspension&product=SportlineSprings&make=VW&model=Golf%20Mk%203
Very strange :undecided: should be different and yours looks like it is on VR spec, try the spring caps and see what happens
-
I searched for ages trying to find eibachs for a late car that weren't also for a vr6, but failed. Seems they made them all the same from 94 onwards.
It's a little annoying, having known I would have ordered early springs and early spring caps to swap to the larger spring.
-
Is the same on the awesome site. Assuming yours is the 8v then the difference in height must be the weight. It's is strange that they don't do different ones. Like Wayne says fit the lowering caps and see how much difference it makes. :undecided:
-
Screw it I've ordered some. :grin:
:angry: Only just seen this thread, got some bonrath ones that I'm not using anymore.
-
What you want for them?