Author Topic: Lowering Spring Caps  (Read 6120 times)

Offline trog_nfs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Lowering Spring Caps
« on: 24 April 2012, 14:55 »
Hi guys,

Well I've lowered my car (finally), on sachs shocks and eibach sportline springs.
I'm very happy with the way the car now rides and handles (why VW didn't have a setup like this from factory I'll never know).


Anyway, this brings me on to my question.
I like the way the car sits at the back, low enough for me and my driveway.

However, I think the front looks a little too high, exagerated by the smaller 195/50 tyres only on the front. (My driveway slopes to the right in this peak too)
Would a set of lowering spring caps bring it down a bit more and make it look a bit better?
http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=19547&manufacturer=JOM&category=Suspension

Views and opinions welcome.

Cheers

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2012, 14:59 »
I was thinking the same myself as i have adjustable ride height on my rears and it sits slightly lower than the front aswell.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2012, 17:20 »
The front of my valver sits lower than that on Eibach Sportline springs. Were they the correct ones? VR6 & TDI front springs have different spring rates on the front due to the heavier engines.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2012, 17:24 »
I was thinking the same myself as i have adjustable ride height on my rears and it sits slightly lower than the front aswell.

The rear struts are adjustable on mine as well and if anything they could come down a fraction to match the front ride height.

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 17:34 »
Here's a couple of pitctures of mine lowered on Sportline springs with FK lowering caps on the front which are supposed to lower an extra 10mm. Would say my rear looks about the same as yours but the front looks much lower. I would bounce the front of the car up and down on each corner to see if they settle down a bit if you have just fitted them.


« Last Edit: 24 April 2012, 17:39 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline Edwh0re

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 399
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 17:34 »
Been there and done that....  make sure you get the right ones as there are 2 different types for the mk3.  And on mine it didn't allow the bearing in the top mount seat properly and do its job, so I had all manner of thunks and problems.

Polybush top mounts are meant to drop the front 15mm.  I have read of people using Polo 6n top mounts too?

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2012, 17:43 »
Just had a look on Venom's website there are two different types but they are for the early and latter mk3's the difference being one has a 65mm spring pig tale and the other an 80mm. It does not look like they do different springs for different engine models therefore mine is a 16v and if yours is an 8v it is going to sit a little higher anyway.

Also make sure your top mounts and spring caps are seated correctly however I would get some lowering caps in any case as the standard mk3 front sits higher than the rear.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2012, 17:48 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2012, 17:46 »
Mine is also 16v and is just like Kahuna's.

Offline trog_nfs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2012, 20:49 »
They have still a little to settle. Only fitted them a week or so ago.

I'm sure they are the right ones, got them for christmas from the other half.

I've just checked and for the later cars the same springs are listed for the vr6 and other models. Would this be why? Mines a later model (97)
« Last Edit: 24 April 2012, 20:56 by trog_nfs »

Offline kahunajb

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: Lowering Spring Caps
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2012, 21:09 »
If yours is a 97 you need the later springs. As far as I am aware the same springs are for the the vr6 so will sit higher on the 8v than the vr. Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: 24 April 2012, 21:11 by kahunajb »
Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI - Keeping
Mk5 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 1 - FOR SALE £5,250
Mk3 GTI 16v Anniversary - OEM+ - Gone :(
Mk4 GTI 2.0 - Slow - Good Riddance