GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 04 September 2010, 00:31
-
I want to create a button that ide add to my dashboard that will activate my central locking, I have a Rclick central locking kit hooked up already, Im guessing that this plan involves finding a fairly standard button and wiring it up to certain wires coming from the master solenoid?
Any input or advice anyone?
-
On most universal CL kits, there's a 2 wire system (brown+white on mine) that allows alarm systems to piggyback.
You can also just bridge the same two wires with a push-to-close button to trigger the lock/unlock.
-
ah ok, I have those wires on mine too,
So how would I do that? what is it to bridge? :undecided:
:laugh:
-
im thinking a good idea for what button to use would be a pre 90 spec hazard switch, think that could work?
-
You could pretty much use any OEM switch you wanted - you'll need a multimeter to get the pinout. But you ideally want one with a sprung return as a non-latching switch is what you need.
Easiest thing is to get a push button from Maplin and mount it in a dash blank.
-
hmm, just searched maplin and found nothing, any idea how to find such a thing?
-
http://tinyurl.com/359a3uq
-
lol, cheers, well ive bought one, it has two spades on the back, do I connect the brown and white wires to then?
-
as I understand it, the white wire is lock and if grounded the doors will lock, and the brown wire is unlock and if grounded the doors will unlock.
Im very confused as to how this button will be able to pull this off with only two spades...
-
Just connect the two together ...
-
well ive tried connecting the two alarm wires to the button and it didn't do anything...?
-
dont I have to suppy some power to the button? or am i using the wrong wires? ivd tried xpzre the brown and white wires...?
-
Just touching the two together briefly will lock, then touching again will unlock, then touching again will lock ....
The potential difference between the two wires allows each to act as a ground for each other allowing the doors to alternate between lock/unlock when connected.
See page 2 on here http://support.in-car-stuff.com/files/VCDL1+2%20-%20Central%20Locking%20Kit%20Installation.pdf
-
Just touching the two together briefly will lock, then touching again will unlock, then touching again will lock ....
The potential difference between the two wires allows each to act as a ground for each other allowing the doors to alternate between lock/unlock when connected.
See page 2 on here http://support.in-car-stuff.com/files/VCDL1+2%20-%20Central%20Locking%20Kit%20Installation.pdf
that's strange, I tried touching the two together and nothing happened...
-
yup, just went out to check, the brown and whit wires that my wiring diagram says are lock/unlock for alarm systems do nothing when touched together... ? is there another option or a good reason why nothings happening? :(
-
yup, just went out to check, the brown and whit wires that my wiring diagram says are lock/unlock for alarm systems do nothing when touched together... ? is there another option or a good reason why nothings happening? :(
Get a single pole, double throw switch with GND connected to the primary and the brown/white to the alternating contacts.
Weird though, must universal kits I've used support bridging the white/brown for lock/unlock.
-
yup, just went out to check, the brown and whit wires that my wiring diagram says are lock/unlock for alarm systems do nothing when touched together... ? is there another option or a good reason why nothings happening? :(
Get a single pole, double throw switch with GND connected to the primary and the brown/white to the alternating contacts.
Weird though, must universal kits I've used support bridging the white/brown for lock/unlock.
sorry what? single pole? I know not of this technical talk, literally be as basic as you can, I havent a clue what the lingo is :p
-
Single pole, double throw is a 2-way switch
ie.
(http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbols/swspdt.gif)
Before I get bored of answering questions, could you at least *try* to google the terms you don't understand - you might learn something
-
Single pole, double throw is a 2-way switch
ie.
(http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbols/swspdt.gif)
Before I get bored of answering questions, could you at least *try* to google the terms you don't understand - you might learn something
I tried to an extent, and it came up with more technical jargon, :p
this stuff baffles the hell out of me
-
so is the switch I bought no good then? I need to get something that turns on and off? cause that sounded wrong from the start as I could like unlock the car on my fob and then sit in it and the switch would already be on unlock and ide have to move it twice to get it to change? no?
or like, would I need a relay or something to switch between wires?
-
I really dont understand this stuff :(
-
Ugh :( Get a non-latching single pole, double throw then.
I'm bored of this thread now.
I really dont understand this stuff :(
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BWuNXWkgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Dummies-UK-Dickon-Ross/dp/0470681780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283643560&sr=1-1)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Dummies-UK-Dickon-Ross/dp/0470681780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283643560&sr=1-1
-
Ugh :( Get a non-latching single pole, double throw then.
I'm bored of this thread now.
I really dont understand this stuff :(
(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BWuNXWkgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Dummies-UK-Dickon-Ross/dp/0470681780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283643560&sr=1-1)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Dummies-UK-Dickon-Ross/dp/0470681780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283643560&sr=1-1
meh to intolerance, anyone brave enough to take over? :p
thanks for you help tho, Sorry I didnt get it, im just not well practised in this stuff and require very direct simple advice or i aint gonna know what the hell your on about :p
double throw is something ive never heard of.
-
can anyone explain what the hell a non-latching single pole, double throw is?
-
Hah me neither. I only finished my central locking this week and didnt have a clue what wires did because of the useless instructions.
With mine it has option of window rollup and boot pop so i was trying to figure out why the front doors have 6 wires and the back only 2.
All i managed to do was pop the locks up when i touched some wires together.
It all works with just 2 wires so how the f*ck do you make the boot pop and windows work?
-
Hah me neither. I only finished my central locking this week and didnt have a clue what wires did because of the useless instructions.
With mine it has option of window rollup and boot pop so i was trying to figure out why the front doors have 6 wires and the back only 2.
All i managed to do was pop the locks up when i touched some wires together.
It all works with just 2 wires so how the f*ck do you make the boot pop and windows work?
well amazingly I can actually answer you that, the boot pop and window roll require you to buy extra kits with motors you would connect those wires too, which is why you dont have anywhere to put them, if you had a car that already had a boot lock or window roll up then you would simply add them to the existing motors but a mk2 doesn't have such things so you can add them but they dont come with a central locking kit, just the wires to do so if you did. :)
or
or something :p
-
So anyway, as ben has understandably given up on me, is there any other options to go for that anyone knows of? can I not use some of the wires coming from the master solenoid? cause that activates stuff doesn't it? when you use the key with it? so some of those wires must be usable? they even have a brown and white just like the spare ones...?
-
ahhhh, Ok, it works now, the master solenoid in the drivers door wasnt plugged in properly, I hadnt been in there myself as I just swapped the "brain" onto my old wireing from the cl that was there when I got it, I had to connect it up and now it all works with the brown and white wire thing, just need to mount my button now.
Ben, Cheers dude, you help did actually work, but I should have probably checked the door mech to start with :p