GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 13:04

Title: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 13:04
Why did you buy your mk4? I bought mine after test driving one at a second hand car place when I was looking for a Ford Focus. The Focus I drove that day was dodgy so i thought I'd try the Golf and quite liked it. I think the interior impressed me the most.

But, Focuses are cheaper and very good to drive. I probably should have bought one, it would have been the more sensible buy, but I have never liked their styling much.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Rhyso on 15 August 2009, 13:16
Dad had two MKIV's and i liked the way they looked and the interior

then i found out about the diesel engines, searched for 3 months and bought the best one i test drove.

The rest as they say is history
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: tg1 on 15 August 2009, 13:24
the reason's i bought mine and got rid of the yaris,

* looks soo cool when done right ( it will be one day...)
* recaros
* turbo
* bigger boot than the yaris'
* handling is soo rubbish the mrs is asking me to lower it!  :grin:
* comfier on the m/ways
* tuning potential from the 1.8t
 
reasons why i wanted a early one

* Recaros
* tax
* cheaper
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: navmk4gti on 15 August 2009, 15:54
looks good... nippy.. not that expensive to run compared to other turbo cars ... and endless amount of dubbing  :grin: :smiley:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: jonnyturbo on 15 August 2009, 18:09
bought it for the turbo then all the other great things / features just fell into place :grin:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Steve_PD on 15 August 2009, 19:11
Bought it because I needed a diesel and the mk4 was the only car I liked, plus I thought VW's were reliable  :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: player.777 on 15 August 2009, 19:15
looks.
economy and power in one.
reliability and build of a vw.
always wanted another golf since my mk1 gti.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: jtomlin on 15 August 2009, 21:25
was looking for an audi a3 for about 3 months, it just wasnt meant to be, i saw a golf on autotrader, brother convinced me to go have a look (i wasnt keen) got there and fell in love!
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: chrisj on 15 August 2009, 21:44
I originally bought my first one when my son was born as a family car and i've had another two since.Most reliable cars i've had and never looked back
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: sambo on 15 August 2009, 21:48
I originally bought my first one when my son was born as a family car and i've had another two since.Most reliable cars i've had and never looked back


Jesus, what else have you owned?  :grin: :laugh: :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes: :shocked: :tongue: :undecided: :evil: :nerd: :smug: :drool: :embarassed: :sick:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: chrisj on 15 August 2009, 21:59
I originally bought my first one when my son was born as a family car and i've had another two since.Most reliable cars i've had and never looked back


Jesus, what else have you owned?  :grin: :laugh: :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes: :shocked: :tongue: :undecided: :evil: :nerd: :smug: :drool: :embarassed: :sick:

I've been lucky with them. in between the golfs i've had two clio 172's and an escort gti(don't ask).
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Grand Master Patch on 15 August 2009, 22:01
I bought mine because my corrado was old and slow,G60's are over rated

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/patb303/DSC_0428.jpg)
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 22:01
I originally bought my first one when my son was born as a family car and i've had another two since.Most reliable cars i've had and never looked back


Jesus, what else have you owned?  :grin: :laugh: :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes: :shocked: :tongue: :undecided: :evil: :nerd: :smug: :drool: :embarassed: :sick:

I've been lucky with them. in between the golfs i've had two clio 172's and an escort gti(don't ask).

That explains it then.

My mk4 has been the biggest pain in the ass I've had, but I did buy a bit of a turkey against my instincts.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: northeast_gti-t on 15 August 2009, 22:02
I bought mine because i had heard that the GTdi's were really good (hope steve and rhys see this  :rolleyes:) and got the 1.8Turbo  :grin: liked the shape of the mkiv and how stylish and well built the interior was also renowned vw build quality had always wanted a GTi and decided after first look etc at the one i went to see that i had to have it and the rest is history  :grin:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 22:02
I bought mine because my corrado was old and slow,G60's are over rated

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/patb303/DSC_0428.jpg)


I hope you're joking. I'd love a Corrado instead of my mk4. I wouldnt have those wheels on it though, the tyres are too low profile for my liking.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Grand Master Patch on 15 August 2009, 22:08
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 22:14
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.
Noisy because of the mods? If I had a G60 I wouldnt mod it.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Steve_PD on 15 August 2009, 22:17
I bought mine because i had heard that the GTdi's were really good (hope steve and rhys see this  :rolleyes:) and got the 1.8Turbo  :grin: liked the shape of the mkiv and how stylish and well built the interior was also renowned vw build quality had always wanted a GTi and decided after first look etc at the one i went to see that i had to have it and the rest is history  :grin:

Should have bought the diesel  :wink:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Grand Master Patch on 15 August 2009, 22:42
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.
Noisy because of the mods? If I had a G60 I wouldnt mod it.

Why not?
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: bobbarley on 15 August 2009, 22:44
There was nothing better around for the price I wanted to pay.  Plus the look nice, and are fun to drive  :smiley:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Devilz on 15 August 2009, 22:46
i bought mine cause always wanted hatchback with turbo. what else can be better option than MK4 GTi :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 15 August 2009, 22:47
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.
Noisy because of the mods? If I had a G60 I wouldnt mod it.

Why not?

Because it would affect its value for starters. Why was it noisy?
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Grand Master Patch on 15 August 2009, 23:09
Sold mine for £3K,the exhaust was stupid loud.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GSXTY#play/uploads/9/aNnAbIObQX4
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Jkctr on 16 August 2009, 12:55
Speeding round residential areas  :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GSXTY#play/uploads/10/SHMPMuGhV1g
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: topher on 16 August 2009, 13:35
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.

You must've had a problem car then.. because my G60 rallye absolutely p!ssed on my k03s AGU mk4 in all conditions .. and your raddo would've been a lot lighter. They're a b!tch when they go wrong, but rapid when you get them just right.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wazzzer on 16 August 2009, 13:41
bought mine as an everyday car that I wasn't worried about breaking every time I turned the key like I was in my Escort RST.

Doubled up as a good family car as well  :smiley:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: dubcruiser on 16 August 2009, 15:25
Had three now, bought my first 1.8T for the build quality and Golf GTi's are cool to own. Traded that for a V6 4Motion (big mistake!), then had a spell with x2 BMW's, changed jobs and went back to a Golf though this time the 1.8T 180bhp!

They are cheap to run for the performance, are well built compared to other things for the money, they are reliable if left standard (you can't expect a remapped diesel or petrol to behave the same as a standard car!) and they hold their money better than most things.

Down side with them is they are costly to insure..
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 16 August 2009, 15:46
I wouldnt say they're reliable - they're actually below average for reliability. If you want reliable go for a Toyota, Honda, Mazda
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wazzzer on 16 August 2009, 15:47
Mine has never let me down in the 2 odd years I've owned it
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: dubcruiser on 16 August 2009, 15:50
If you look after them, they will look after you... I have mine serviced by VW and it (and the others) have been fine and reliable...
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wazzzer on 16 August 2009, 16:05
Mine hasn't had VW services but it's had it done at regular intervals. Also anything that has needed replacing has been done straight away, not left for months. I think this is the key to keeping it running well, keep an eye on everything and give it a good check over every month  :wink:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: dubcruiser on 16 August 2009, 16:17
Mine hasn't had VW services but it's had it done at regular intervals. Also anything that has needed replacing has been done straight away, not left for months. I think this is the key to keeping it running well, keep an eye on everything and give it a good check over every month  :wink:

+1 Wazzzer!!  :cool:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Grand Master Patch on 16 August 2009, 20:12
I'm not joking mate,i had a stage4 charger by Jabba and ran a smaller pulley aswell as chipped,still slow.Nothing but trouble,and very very noisy.

You must've had a problem car then.. because my G60 rallye absolutely p!ssed on my k03s AGU mk4 in all conditions .. and your raddo would've been a lot lighter. They're a b!tch when they go wrong, but rapid when you get them just right.

There may have been something wrong with it,but it was boosting ok using the mfa.The corrado is also surprisingly heavy :shocked:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wazzzer on 16 August 2009, 20:38
I also had the benefit of buying a car from a mate who took care of the Golf. Only thing that lets it down is the paintwork really
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 16 August 2009, 21:19
I also had the benefit of buying a car from a mate who took care of the Golf. Only thing that lets it down is the paintwork really

The lacquer is coming off my paintwork in places :(

Also imo the suspension bushes are pretty pathetic in the mk4 Golfs, particularly the rear front wishbone ones and the rear axle ones. They need replacing a bit often for my liking and they are resonsible for the soft handling.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me is the very slow steering.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 16 August 2009, 21:30
I also had the benefit of buying a car from a mate who took care of the Golf. Only thing that lets it down is the paintwork really

The lacquer is coming off my paintwork in places :(

Also imo the suspension bushes are pretty pathetic in the mk4 Golfs, particularly the rear front wishbone ones and the rear axle ones. They need replacing a bit often for my liking and they are resonsible for the soft handling.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me is the very slow steering.


Time for the R32/S3/TT 225 rack, then!  2.5 turns lock-to-lock Vs. 3.3.  8)
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 16 August 2009, 21:31
p.s.  & also TT W/B bushes with Fabia vRS rear bushes.  :)
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wurzel on 16 August 2009, 21:32
I also had the benefit of buying a car from a mate who took care of the Golf. Only thing that lets it down is the paintwork really

The lacquer is coming off my paintwork in places :(

Also imo the suspension bushes are pretty pathetic in the mk4 Golfs, particularly the rear front wishbone ones and the rear axle ones. They need replacing a bit often for my liking and they are resonsible for the soft handling.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me is the very slow steering.


Time for the R32/S3/TT 225 rack, then!  2.5 turns lock-to-lock Vs. 3.3.  8)

Yeah but how much would that set me back? Probably about £400-£500...

Would have been nice if these things were standard. Who wants granny-steering?
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Wazzzer on 16 August 2009, 23:09
time to get out there with some spanners like I did and save yourself a shed load of money on labour :laugh:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Rhyso on 17 August 2009, 08:04
@ Wurzel

i've asked this before and i'll ask again - did you not test drive your car BEFORE you bought it? Or at least test drove several Golf's before buying the right one

all you seem to do is moan about the car - if you don't like it, SELL IT

Yes they have their problems but the idea of these forums is to share knowledge about how to fix them

Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: T_J_G on 17 August 2009, 12:31
I don't know why I bought a mk4, i had a couple of mk2's and wanted something more comfortable. Had money burning a whole in my pocket, wanted to stay VW so bought a silver TDI then regretted that and bought the 1.8T.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Poosp on 17 August 2009, 15:50
Needed to take a step back from my Cash burning Jap import Impreza.

Was after the GT TDI 150 but couldn't find a good example in my area with the right price. Mum has the GTI 150 and I knew the 34mpg was acheivable so went to see a nice looking one nearby. Saw It, Bought It, F**ked Off.

Lovely car that I can make quicker when cash flow improves again. Happy Days.
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: mac456 on 17 August 2009, 19:19
i got mine, becuase it was the best car i could get for my money imo, only had a 2k to spend, managed to strecth my funds a little more and got a good example.

all happend unexpected really, wasnt in the market for a new car but my old one died  :sad: "ford"  :rolleyes:

hopefully i will keep this one for a couple of years,and hopefully a remap in the near future once i know the car is 100% perfect as it is or i get bored, which ever one comes 1st lol  :grin:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: jeynesey on 17 August 2009, 19:21
Who knows..... its just a money pit :undecided:
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Mr_Orange on 17 August 2009, 21:04
Comfort, Performance & Safety

In that order (I think).  It's standard so that may be subject to change one day!
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 17 August 2009, 21:17
It was the call of an easy/cheap 200 ponies which first caught my attention!  8)

If only I'd known how much ££££ on top of that I'd be pumping into it, lol!!  :D
Title: Re: Why did you buy a mk4 Golf?
Post by: mikemk4gti on 18 August 2009, 21:08
 Because I wanted one!, the wife wanted an Astra bertone convertible but it only has 4 seats which doesn't work with three kids.