Author Topic: info needed on over-run cutoff valve  (Read 8889 times)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: info needed on over-run cutoff valve
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2004, 20:17 »
Here we are: the first pic shows what i was told was the overrun cutoff valve, you can see the disconected wire below where it should plug into:

Here it is in full:

and form the other side:

Make any sense?
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2004, 12:41 »
Gamit, did you get chance to check, also from the pics I posted?

Thanks

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2004, 12:52 »
actually forgot to look  ::) as i was busy getting the car ready to sell

but looking from them pics it looks strangely like the one that is meant to connect to the diagphram on the corner of the airbox

is the one on the airbox connected up?? back left corner of the airbox as you look from the front of the car

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2004, 15:31 »
Not too sure, i suspect it is but I'll check later, maybe take a pic :)

So you can see the electrical connection hanging below, what is that called it connects to?

If i get a chance tonight I'll take the whole thing off and give it a good clean and take pics :)

Update:

Firstly the overun cutoff valve, this is what i have taken pictures of isn't? it's a big plastic bit with a 1" rubber pipe connecting to the centre back of the airbox and the other 1" rubber pipe conecting straight up to the intake pipe, a small vacumme pipe going to a t bar connector to two other vacum pipes. and an electrical connector at thye bottom with two wires???

If so i took it all out cleaned it up with gunk and wd40 (there was hardly any oil in it, about half a teaspoon if that) and put it back together. I have only tested it on idel but it still seems the same.

"is the one on the airbox connected up?? back left corner of the airbox as you look from the front of the car "

There is no connector or pipe on the back left of the airbox when i am looking at it from the front of the car, there is a roundish (looks like a sauce shaped alien craft) with a connector and vacume pipe, but it's only mounted to the airbox, not connected.

Back bottom right is a large open pipe (part of the airbox) I thought this was the intake? should it be left open with no pipe there?

I have taken some pics of everthing, but i forgot the lead from work so i can't upload them untill tomorrow night :(

update of pics:

here is the overrun cut off switch (I hope):

From the top:

and here is a shot of the back of the airbox:

Hope it all makes sense :)
« Last Edit: 21 September 2004, 08:25 by deefadog »

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2004, 10:30 »
"is the one on the airbox connected up?? back left corner of the airbox as you look from the front of the car "

There is no connector or pipe on the back left of the airbox when i am looking at it from the front of the car, there is a roundish (looks like a sauce shaped alien craft) with a connector and vacume pipe, but it's only mounted to the airbox, not connected.

connect the electrical connector onto that round saucer shape thing, this is what controls the over-run cutoff valve
« Last Edit: 21 September 2004, 10:33 by Gambit »

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2004, 11:50 »
There is already an electrical connection plugged into this! when i said not connected I ment not connected to the airbox in any way :) also there is a vacume pipe on this which is also connected up.

so the pic I took "Here it is in full:"above is of the over run cutoff valve? and the diagphram controls that valve, is this correct?

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2004, 12:41 »
Bump :)

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2004, 12:47 »
I did some tests the weekend, i disconnect the electrical connection on the diagphram and it made no difference! only difference is made when i disconnect the electrical connection on the over run cut  off valve!

I have been told that there is a control boc behind the center console whcih could be at fault rather than the valve it self? any ideas???

Also just to clear it up:

"so the pic I took "Here it is in full:"above is of the over run cutoff valve? and the diagphram controls that valve, is this correct?"

thanks

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2004, 16:41 »
the control unit behind the centre console is for the ISV. the diaphragm definitly controls the over-run cut off valve

Offline Deefadog

• I live here
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2004, 16:49 »
Thanks Gambit, so if the diaphragm (silver suacer) controls the over-run cut off valve, what is the electrical connection that goes to the overrun cut off vale for? and why does disconnecting this solve my problems?