Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740695 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11340 on: 14 May 2021, 20:33 »
willni,i have the same mats in mine-well,sort of.
They look great,but are susceptible to heel imprints after very little use,making them look like you’ve had them for years.
So much so,I purchased some genuine rubber mats and swapped the drivers mat for the rubber one,as it was doing my head in,the rubber mat being more robust for daily driving.
Mats are often reinforced or double layered on the heel area-you see this on cheaper ones,you’d think for the price these gti mats are,vw could have done better.
Or it could just be my size 11 feet that’s the issue!

I'd second that. But not the bit about your feet..
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11341 on: 14 May 2021, 21:51 »
willni,i have the same mats in mine-well,sort of.
They look great,but are susceptible to heel imprints after very little use,making them look like you’ve had them for years.
So much so,I purchased some genuine rubber mats and swapped the drivers mat for the rubber one,as it was doing my head in,the rubber mat being more robust for daily driving.
Mats are often reinforced or double layered on the heel area-you see this on cheaper ones,you’d think for the price these gti mats are,vw could have done better.
Or it could just be my size 11 feet that’s the issue!

I'd be very similar size wise and my shoes whether trainers or dress can eat through them in under a month.
I'll probably only use the rear two mats seeing as my Weathertech mats contain dirt so well and are so easy cleaned as well as looking fairly inconspicuous for being aftermarket.

Maybe if the Queen asks for a lift she'll get the 'special mats', maybe...
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #11342 on: 16 May 2021, 22:59 »
Hello, brand new to the community and hoping to share updates on my VW journeys. Have recently wrapped the roof on my pure white GTI 7.5 in gloss black (will post pictures soon!) and considering new alloys at the moment as have the (in my opinion) horrid 18'' parkers.

Looking to move back to 19'' wheels (had Santiagos on my Mk7 GTD) which are non diamond cut, and currently considering the BBS XR wheels. Has anyone got these or any other good  wheel suggestions? I don't want to spend silly amounts,  but want a classy looking alloy that is durable and silver/graphite.
NOW - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI, Manual- Pure White
GONE - 2015 Mk7 GTD, Manual - Tungsten
GONE - 2014 Scirocco GTS 2.0TDI - Salsa Red
GONE - 2012 Scirocco 2.0TDI - Black
GONE - 2009 Mk6 GTI - Tornado Red
GONE - 2008 Mk5 GtTDI - Reflex Silver
GONE - 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v - Dark Green
GONE - 1989 Jetta 1.8 'Show condition' - Red

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11343 on: 17 May 2021, 08:22 »
Hello, brand new to the community and hoping to share updates on my VW journeys. Have recently wrapped the roof on my pure white GTI 7.5 in gloss black (will post pictures soon!) and considering new alloys at the moment as have the (in my opinion) horrid 18'' parkers.

Looking to move back to 19'' wheels (had Santiagos on my Mk7 GTD) which are non diamond cut, and currently considering the BBS XR wheels. Has anyone got these or any other good  wheel suggestions? I don't want to spend silly amounts,  but want a classy looking alloy that is durable and silver/graphite.

Welcome, can't go wrong with a good set of BBS, I had BBS CI-R's on my old White Silver GTD and got many compliments about them or BBS SR are a cheaper lookalike to the CI-R's which many people go for across the groups.

« Last Edit: 19 May 2021, 11:26 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11344 on: 17 May 2021, 16:59 »
In the post I linked above it was said that 30ml should do for 3 uses. Not sure what that equates to in grammes as in the ebay ad. Perhaps 10g would do? The bottle I have is tiny and has been used a few times but is still going. Not sure what quantity/weight it was, I'll have a look later.

Thanks, I’ve taken a gamble on a 20g bottle in the hope it’ll cover two cars… time will tell.

Mine is 10g. It's covered my current car (although sunroof yet to be done) and it did my previous car (3 door) and I lent it to someone to do their car too. There's a little left too say I'd say you should be fine!

You were, of course, spot on. I’ve just applied this somewhat more liberally than I needed to (we’ll call it a practice run) and I have exactly half a bottle left.

Time will tell if it has made a positive difference to creaks and rattles, but it feels like a good preventative thing to do regardless.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11345 on: 17 May 2021, 17:53 »
Mine has made a big difference, well worth the time taken. The sunroof made a big difference too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #11346 on: 17 May 2021, 19:12 »

Welcome, can't go wrong with a good set of BBS, I had BBS CI-R's on my old White Silver GTD and got many compliments about them or BBS SR are a cheaper lookalike to the CI-R's which many people go for across the groups.

Those look fantastic!

What size did you get and did you need spacers?
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11347 on: 17 May 2021, 22:15 »
Mine has made a big difference, well worth the time taken. The sunroof made a big difference too.

Thanks, Watts, for the useful and timely links posted above.

My GTI has just clocked 16k miles and , while I have been very pleased with quality, I have just started to notice a very slight intermittent rattle from the b pillars which disappears with the windows opened.

Just ordered 10ml of that magic oil. Will report back in a few days.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11348 on: 18 May 2021, 11:10 »
Those look fantastic!

What size did you get and did you need spacers?

Those were BBS CI-R 19inch Et45 8.5J width, tyres were Michelin PS4S 225/35R19. No spacers as with the lower ET it was like running 5-6mm spacers.

I actually just sold them with new Pirelli's to a friend, he has them on his Race Blue VRS estate and they look fantastic on it as well. I was going to refurb them Porsche Satin Platinum for my GTI but decided against it as I'd lose all the little BBS painted markings.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #11349 on: 18 May 2021, 15:25 »
I was tempted to get a set of Prets or even Bola which Motech have been using but think these look perfect.

To be honest the car has hardly moved during lockdown so probably shouldn't even be thinking about getting a set but.... so tempting! :)
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass