Author Topic: vr6 to mk1 conversion  (Read 14368 times)

Offline boxy1984

• Just got here
vr6 to mk1 conversion
« on: 03 December 2008, 19:23 »
I want to convert my vr6 engine into a mk 1 golf I was hoping that some one has had experience with this and give me n e pointers that will help my cause. I was informed that there are kits available for the conversion but not sure if its true or false. Also what other units and components are advised to transfer over. Welcome n e suggestions

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: vr6 to mk1 conversion
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2008, 20:43 »
My suggestion would be don't bother. I was talking to a lad who's mate had done this and he said it was quick in a straight line, but it didn't stop or corner too well. Personally I think that's the biggest mismatch you could do as there are better engines to put in a mk1, but it's your choice.
......now officially dubless.

Offline boxy1984

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2008, 22:13 »
Fair comment. Is it possible to get more info on what procedures ur mate followed to carry it out, sort of guide lines?

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2008, 22:14 »
maybe a 20VT or a G60 would be a better option

Offline wayders

• GTI forum regular
  • Built by the germans, thrashed by the british!
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2008, 22:20 »
Deffo G60 Stu...  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2008, 22:26 »
Any reasons ?

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2008, 22:35 »
Fair comment. Is it possible to get more info on what procedures ur mate followed to carry it out, sort of guide lines?

It was a mate of a lad I was speaking to once, so I can't get that info, sorry. There's a lad on here called VR6_ROB who put a VR6 in a mk2 so he might have some guidelines for you. There's probably a project thread on this that might give you some help.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2008, 10:32 »
Vr6 is too heavy a lump for a mk1, much better and easy to fit a 16v or a later 20v lump, it is a huge task to fit a vr6 in a mk1.

Offline bow

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2008, 22:12 »
my brother and i put a vr6 in a caddy boy what a lot ov work making the sub frame to hold the engine took us 2 days and he ownes a bodyshop (top welder) and thats the easy bit the loom and fusebox wasnt bad to do but when the engine was in it was touching the master cylinder it ran sweet sounded the nuts drove like a bag of sh!t you had to jump on the brake pedal to stop it i think the only reason he did it was some one said it cant be done wot a lot ov work to prove some one wrong saying that he still has it and its a real head turner

Offline Benny T

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2008, 21:18 »
my brother and i put a vr6 in a caddy boy what a lot ov work making the sub frame to hold the engine took us 2 days and he ownes a bodyshop (top welder) and thats the easy bit the loom and fusebox wasnt bad to do but when the engine was in it was touching the master cylinder it ran sweet sounded the nuts drove like a bag of sh!t you had to jump on the brake pedal to stop it i think the only reason he did it was some one said it cant be done wot a lot ov work to prove some one wrong saying that he still has it and its a real head turner

what about a 2.0 8v out of a mk3? thinking about that but would it be just to much work, having to get better brakes and rear axel and the lot. what would be the best engine to put in? but nothing stupid like a 20v turbo....?