Author Topic: fuel pump in tank  (Read 3034 times)

Offline eyeletboy

• Here all the time
fuel pump in tank
« on: 01 June 2004, 14:44 »
my fuel pump in my tank is faulty.has anyone replaced one of these?is it ahard job or straight forward?

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
Re:fuel pump in tank
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2004, 15:22 »

will take you about 5 minutes to do depending on how tight the plastic nut is that you have to take off.

lift up your boot carpet , on your right there should be a black circular cover - held in by three screws if i remember correctly.

take this off and then unscrew the massive black plastic nut. disconnect everything adn you should be able to just lift out the old pump. replace it with your new one anad away you go mate. ; :)

Offline eyeletboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2004, 23:51 »
is it the nut under the rear seats because thats the only one i can see in the boot area?

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2004, 13:04 »

im not sure on the mark one cabs mate - i was presuming the fuel set up is the same as on the mark2.

should be in the boot under the black cover. got me stumped mate ???.

can you take a pic of the nut your talking about??

if not can someone else give there advice :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2004, 12:20 »
Haven't checked my cab but done plenty of mk1's, I'm 90% sure it'll be the same............. you remove the base of the rear seat and underneath that is a round black metal plate, approx. 8" in diameter. Its held in place by 3 screws, remove them and then the plate.........it may be sticky due to sealant. Underneath you sould find the top of the tank sender unit with 2 small pipes and an electrical connector......this is different to a mk2 which has the big plastic nut that is a 'mare' to undo. Remove the connector and the 2 flexible pipes and then twist off the plate. I usually find 2 large flat bladed screwdrivers work well for removing it.

Hope that helps............

Offline eyeletboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2004, 08:55 »
what about the pressure in the fuel tank?do i need to do something before i take the old pump out?.i don't fancy having petrol blown out into my mush!! :-\

Offline danhock

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2004, 09:08 »
Dont think theres any pressure to speak of in the mk1 tank. You should be fine as long as you're not smoking at the time......
All opinions expressed in this mail are wholey owned by danhock and are not representative of golfgti.co.uk or it affliates.If you disagree with my comments please note that i do not give a f**k ?2005

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2004, 12:12 »
If you're worried about pressure in the tank, just take the fuel cap off!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

golfvr6

« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2004, 12:19 »
There won't be any pressure in the tank unless the breathers are blocked.
As rub says just remove the fuel cap.

Offline eyeletboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2004, 23:01 »
cheers guys ;) :)