Hi my names Tim. I am from Bournemouth and have owned my Golf GTI MK4(20v Turbo AGU) for about 9 months.
I'm new to this forum but would be very grateful for any help if at all possible.
As i was taking a corner at very low speed the other day, i lost all drive from the engine. Not knowing initially what the problem was, i proceeded to try and restart the engine numerous times including a bump start. I then admitted defeat and called the RAC who told me that the cam belt was gone and a possible engine rebuild was needed.
Was wondering if anyone has been through this before who could possibly lend some advice. Ive been quoted up to £2800 for the rebuild with a new head and valves, but surely thats a worst case scenario ?
I haven't actually got a blank cheque so i'm looking for a reasonably cheap way of getting through this. I have been advised by a friend that a reconditioned engine drop in might be an option. I would like to keep my engine though, as it was a good runner and never gave me any grief before.
Thanks