Author Topic: Rear brake caliper carrier bolts  (Read 14362 times)

golfvr6

Re:Rear brake caliper carrier bolts
« Reply #30 on: 22 June 2004, 20:13 »
You got lucky with those rear calipers mate.
Usually the piston gets stuck and its impossible to do it with pliers.
I got the wind back tool from Halfords, definately a good investment  ;)

golfvr6

« Reply #31 on: 22 June 2004, 20:14 »
Saying that, i did use pliers on a renault laguna rear brake calipers, but then the car was only a few years old at the time, so no seized pistons!  :D

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #32 on: 22 June 2004, 20:18 »
errr yeah.........lets skip over that bit.

tha calipers were a b!tch to get moving but then they were ok after that

vwsystems

Re: Rear brake caliper carrier bolts
« Reply #33 on: 26 October 2004, 20:47 »
did the rears pads tonight on the vr6........ there the later pistons the circlip ones not the 12mm allenkey!

it took ages we have had to make a tool for it.....

got a socket and grinded bits out of each side so its got 2 little bits there.... so this then sticks in the piston and turns it back in... it kept coming out...........

you need a pro vw tool but i suspect they dont fit right!
we also had to undo the bleen nipple and that mad eit alot easier to get the piston back in it was still hard though!

we also took the floating bolts out as both bottom ones were stuck....... took them out give them a wipe a smear of grease on them and put them back in.... they slide / float perfect........

just got to take it out for a spin in a bit........

Offline audiquattro

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2005, 22:01 »
The backwinding tool is readily available in most motor factors. Its hard to do the job without it.

Offline Gix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 24 March 2005, 19:58 »
My rear brakes seized on my vr6, Thought it was the pistons seizing but it wernt, just the amount of sh!t built up behind the little rubber seal on the handbrake lever on rear of caliper. Stripped the lot n cleaned it all up, copper slip lubed the sliders and no probs to report.

Heat is the best option if you have ought seized, expand the f**k*r's free!

Offline DROMENGRO

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2005, 07:09 »
Carrier bolts, i never even try to shift them, simply plug in the angle grinder and away they go - bench drill remainders, chase threads and use new bolts with a smidgen copper grease.......

Offline chrutchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 10 August 2006, 18:25 »
ive just put new rear calipers on mine coz they were siezed and to remove them bolts
ive got a socket set that is for rounded off heads and i used that over the top and they
came off no probs.

Offline peaky83

• Here all the time
« Reply #38 on: 18 November 2007, 19:52 »
As a last  resort, but new bolts and weld any old nut/bolt to the jammed one then undo it, thats what i had to do on my mk2 8vGTi

Dan

Offline mark3valver

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 05 April 2008, 18:51 »
hi guys,

just finished doing my rear brakes and as usual the caliper bolts rounded off a treat. tried a hex socket smacked in there, then a splined but no joy.

Invested in a set of these (£28 I paid from a local place as I needed them quick) but I have to say they are an amazing piece of kit, well worth the money.
They just get tighter and tighter even if your going in at an angle like I was for some reason, new carrier bolts were only 75p from VW too which isn't too bad

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-394001-Bolt-Grip-Remover/dp/B0000CCXVZ

want a pair of raceland buckets with model specific subframes for £150 delivered? go here

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=83910.0