Author Topic: Big bumper / arches kits  (Read 10366 times)

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
Big bumper / arches kits
« on: 16 April 2004, 22:05 »
Hi there,

I recently bought a small-bumper Mk2 Golf, and am looking to buy a Big bumper kit and a wheelarch kit.  However I have a couple of questions of you more experienced people about how to fit said items  :)

1.  I read somewhere that the front bumper is 'load bearing' and so is difficult to replace, could I just use a jack to hold up the engine while I swap the bumpers or would that be too much strain?

2.  How exactly are the wheel arches and side trim held onto the sides?  I'm assuming I'll need to drill holes for some sort of clip to attach into?

Many thanks for your time in reading this, and thanks in advance for any help  ;D

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Big bumper / arches kits
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2004, 22:29 »
there are 3 bolts that go into the cross beam. you only need to undo the front and back ones of the 3. leave the middle one! i've never bother with a jack usually. just don't drive the car without a bumper on. If you're going from small bumpers to big bumpers you'll also need to buy new mounts for them to slide onto. only a couple of quid from VW. You'll also need to drill another hole in the wing as the bigger mounts have 2 mounting points instead of the small bumper mounts 1. :)

wheel arches are usually rivetted to the wings unless you roll the arches in which case you'll need to stick them on with silaflex

The early side strips were held on with double sided-tape. the later ones with the GTi badge had holes. Either way if you don't have holes I wouldn't fart about drilling any. reciepe for rust if you ask me. Just double sided tape them on. make sure you use a lot else you might loose the strip.

Hope that helps :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2004, 22:58 »
if you got a later model golf then the holes to hole the sides of the big bumpers on will already be there, you just pop off the old clip and fit the new bigger clip, you will see when its in bits, quite easy really!

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2004, 23:05 »
front bumper is held on by 4 17mm bolts 2 each side just undo and pull, the bumper will come off then unclip ur indicator wires and thats the bumper off, refitting is reversal.
if u get a kit with fog lights u will need to take the scuttle(? dunno if thats its name) off again this is just bolted on with i think its 5 10mm bolts(could be wrong)remember to replace the middle bolt as this is a support

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2004, 09:47 »
Thanks for the help guys  ;D, definitely put my mind to rest on fitting the bumpers :)

Any recommendations on where is the best place to buy bumper kits?

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2004, 12:02 »
NOT gfs cos i brought some and they were not a good fit, the brackets were very difficult to line up. i would personally try and get some original ones from a scrappy and paint them etc, or the mounts at least

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2004, 12:06 »
try this site for further reference......

http://www.matey-matey.com/big_bumper_conversion.shtml

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2004, 22:34 »
Many thanks again, that article is very useful  ;D perhaps I'll post some before and after pictures when I'm done   :P

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2004, 23:14 »
if u get em from scrappys and u do get vw ones getting them colour coded to ur car will be cheaper than new ones to as they dont have to put plastic primer on which costs loads so i was told

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2004, 12:11 »
How much are they likely to be from a scrapyard?