GolfGTI
Forum Charity
Merchandise Shop
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk4
(Moderator:
Wazzzer
) »
Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Author
Topic: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold??? (Read 2670 times)
NickJ76
Not said much yet
Posts: 10
Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
on:
07 April 2008, 10:24 »
As per title any ideas why sometimes especially when cold ( 1 or 2 degrees) its difficult to select gears especially 1st. As car warms up problem goes away. Tends to crunch when selecting reverse as well. Its a 2000 Gti??
Logged
ub7rm
I live here
Posts: 1,476
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #1 on:
07 April 2008, 12:38 »
Yeah I have the same problem, not the first time I try and get 1st, but after that till warm its a bit of a bugger......
Logged
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate
GTi-Matt
I live here
Posts: 1,635
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #2 on:
07 April 2008, 17:45 »
gear box oil maybe?
Logged
Quote from: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 05 September 2008, 14:18
I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!
Trickyboy
Here all the time
Posts: 418
MK5 GTi 3dr Reflex Silver
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #3 on:
07 April 2008, 18:31 »
me too! mostly first, occasionally second, until warm.
Logged
NickJ76
Not said much yet
Posts: 10
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #4 on:
07 April 2008, 21:16 »
I wondered about gearbox oil but havn't the foggiest on how to check. If all you guys are having same prob someone must know why on forum, surely??? Souns like a common problem!!
Logged
Ashmond
I live here
Posts: 2,515
Money, b!tches And Boost
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #5 on:
08 April 2008, 11:27 »
mine did it on the 1.4 and the 1.8t
Logged
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)
ub7rm
I live here
Posts: 1,476
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #6 on:
08 April 2008, 13:00 »
TBH I think its a common problem on every car I've ever driven old or new that from cold, and especially in first/second the gear box is a bit notchy.
Logged
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate
dudz
Not said much yet
Posts: 43
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #7 on:
08 April 2008, 13:56 »
Same here, only when going into 2nd though, until it gets warmed up
Logged
GTi-Matt
I live here
Posts: 1,635
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #8 on:
08 April 2008, 14:12 »
its happened to me before and i put it in to neutral again and pumped the clutch and that always works
Logged
Quote from: Ivor Mk4 Turbo on 05 September 2008, 14:18
I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!
rheady
Here all the time
Posts: 433
Re: Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???
«
Reply #9 on:
10 April 2008, 14:28 »
The brake fluid also supplies the clutch master cylinder and it is advised to change the fluid every 2 years. Might be you fluid needs changing.
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
« previous
next »
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk4
(Moderator:
Wazzzer
) »
Difficulty selecting Gears when cold???