Author Topic: Newbie seeking advice: Is this a good deal or not?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Wolfie

• Not said much yet
Hi guys

Been reading this forum for some time now and finally got round to registering.

I currently have an Audi A3 2.0T S-line DSG, 05 reg, 30k miles and my head has been turned by a mark 5 Golf GTI (see link below)

http://www.georgewhitesupercars.co.uk/?section=current_stock&stock_item=68&order_by=

Have contacted the garage who has quoted me £2400 as the price to change. This is before any negotiations.

I know its the same engine but i cant help looking at the GTI and think i might be missing out.

Any advice would be appreciated. I like the candy white colour but is this just the latest fad and not a long term investment?

Thanks in advance.
Candy White GTI, 3 Door Manual, Nav, Armrest, 18's, No Mods yet.

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
Re: Newbie seeking advice: Is this a good deal or not?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2008, 19:43 »
My first thoughts are no DSG  :laugh:   

....and would it be worth part 'exing for that amount,  and getting a non DSG car which is only slightly newer  :smiley:

I think I'd sleep on it for a few days and see if my head had "just been turned" or whether I really wanted to change  :evil:
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Phil mcavity

« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2008, 19:45 »
to be honest, your be mad to turn that down, A3 drives nothing like a GTi even though it has the same engine. That looks a cracking deal, but a huge but is it doesnt have DSG!!!!

Offline MikeGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2008, 19:46 »
Can't comment on the value of your car, try www.parkers.co.uk for a true value of yours.

The gti is similar age & mileage to a car I paid the same for a few weeks ago.

Though mine came from a Volvo main Dealer with a years warranty and RAC cover included (though its still under VW Warranty as well), DSG, Leather, new front tyres, rear parking sensors and 5-doors. It doesn't have the Sat-Nav though.

DSG usually adds £1K to the value and I got £1850 for a part ex that was worth about £1k.

I'd say negotiate hard, or take a look at Tollbar Warwick Volvo - A few GTI's in stock and 3 of us have all purchased quality cars from there in the last few weeks.

Offline Wolfie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2008, 20:19 »

Ive checked parkers which agrees with the part ex figure quoted by the dealer. also checked the glass's guide on the vauxhall website and that comes out a bit more. the problem i have at the moment is that when i put the golf gti into the same guides its valued far lower than my audi but the garage wants £2400 from me - am i looking at it the wrong way? do you think the asking price for the golf is fair/too high?

i chose DSG on my current car mainly due to it being such a good deal and initially likingit on the test drive. if im totally honest i cant say im that blown away by the DSG and could take it or leave it. Its definitely a great bit of kit but i just feel the manual is a more involving drive.

also whats the ride quality like on the gti with 18's as the S-line feels like a kick up the arse every time i hit a slight bump?

Offline MikeGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2008, 20:27 »
Well in real terms I paid 15K for mine. Deduct £1K for loss of DSG = £14K + £200 for Sat Nav = £14200.

I'd say £14200 is the true value of that car.

The golfs are selling for a bit above book price due to their sheer popularity. Really holding their prices well.

Dealers refer to the book prices when it suits them but will quite happily chuck them out the window when it doesn't.

They know that a white golf gti will catch the attention of someone who "has to have it" and therefore will be marking it up for a less savvy buyer.

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2008, 20:37 »
do you think the asking price for the golf is fair/too high?

IMO too high  :sad:

you can get brand new imports for only £1850 more (£17,700) - OK basic spec but brand new (2.5 years newer),  1st owner and a full 2 years VW UK warranty

http://www.mh2k.com/ecarsuk/1813513_1_6956/volkswagen_golf_gti/index.htm

How much would they offer you if you were trading in their white GTI ?  probably less than your Audi - so you've lost out £2400 straightaway on the deal  :cry: :cry:
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Wolfie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2008, 21:15 »
i can see your point jonnyg but i got the impression imports were a bit hit and miss.  what are the drawbacks of an import other than the 2 year warranty and the future hit on resale -  are all the parallel eu imports full uk spec ?  :undecided:

i cant see the garage selling the candy white gti for £14200 - so should i keep looking for a good specced import at a good deal and keep the car for a few years?

what are the must haves i should be looking for and what can be retrofitted easily/cheaply afterwards?

Offline MikeGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2008, 21:23 »
Well an armrest retro-fitted costs nearly a grand!!!

Cruise control is a pretty good deal £150 main dealer supplied and fitted.

A guy on here recently got a car £2K cheaper than it should've been because it was an import. So whilst they can be cheaper to buy, they will also sell for less.

This particular import was flawless. However do some searching on this forum and you'll find some horror stories as well.

Ultimately its maybe just that I got a good deal. Though like I said, Google "tollbar warwick volvo" they've got some nice looking GTI's at £14850 and they do great finance deals if required.

Offline hotrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2008, 21:27 »
Hi Wolfie,

Welcome aboard. I’ve recently taken the plunge a bought a Candy White ED30 after many, many years of Reflex Silver. The silver was always a great colour, looked shiny even when dirty, and polished up like new. However after I saw a white 3-door GTI I changed my view of white immediately. Looks awesome when clean, really shows off the lines. When dirty still looks good. Very easy to clean as you can quickly see where all the muck is. Looks even better with privacy glass... reminds me of my hols in Greece.

I checked ‘far & wide’ to see if white would be detrimental at trade-in... the opposite is true as it is perceived as a performance model... not an economy basic. I don’t see many Porsche 911’s being marked-down due to being in white.

My own colour preference is white, silver, dark grey then red.

Have fun... Hotrod

GTI Edition 30 (1783)   Candy white   KKK04 turbo