Author Topic: I miss my 16v  (Read 1746 times)

Offline *tell*

• I live here
I miss my 16v
« on: 24 March 2008, 10:49 »
I drove my old 158000 mile mk2 16v and forgot how
nice it is to drive.
it felt quicker that the vr  :cry: it did handle better.
do i get another mk2  :rolleyes:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
Re: I miss my 16v
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2008, 10:51 »
yes  :grin:

or get a vr6'd mkII  :laugh:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2008, 13:16 »
What is the obsession with putting pig-irons into the front of Golf2s?

Yes, buy another G2 16V if you enjoyed it, or buy a G3 16V and get it tweaked up so it's at VR6 levels of power.  The whole key to the 16V is that it doesn't muck up the balance of the (lardy) G3.  The key advantages are that it gives you is enough grunt to punt the shell about, unlike the 2.0 8V and has nice things like airbags, ABS and air-con unlike the G2.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2008, 13:27 »
I drove my old 158000 mile mk2 16v and forgot how
nice it is to drive.
it felt quicker that the vr  :cry: it did handle better.
do i get another mk2  :rolleyes:

I had a mk3 16v before my vr an although it was quick, my vr would leave it for dust, both wern't standard though, my old 16v had cat back zorst, induction kit and blitzchip while my current vr has induction kit, 6-2-1 stainless manifold, decat and full stainless zorst. Mk2 peeps aint gonna like this either but i don't think a standard mk2 16v would stand a chance either :evil:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2008, 13:27 »
Supercharged that VR6 it might be cheaper!  :rolleyes:

Offline Dragon6

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2008, 13:37 »
gotta admit I have a 65k VR6 which is a nice drive, personally I love the V6 engine loads of grunt nice and smooth etc,but I also have a 178k mile mk2 16v and as Dazvr6 says it is nowhere near as powerfull as the mk2 BUT the mk2 has loads more character as a drivers car love the feedback you get from it on the road the nice revvy engine and the slick steering great brakes it all works as a great  allround package .If I had to choose one over the other I`m not sure which I would have to be honest I like the refined feel of the mk3 nice dash layout comfy quiet drive until you plant your foot down but somedays I like a good blast in the old school mk2 valver.. :smiley: look at a  low mileage price of a good mk2 16v suppose that tells the story.I also think the quality of the paint underseal etc is a lot better on the mk2`s a lot of mk3`s you see around to be honest are truely shocking I have seen more nasty mk3`s underneath than mk2`s.My mk2 has never seen any paint and the only bleb of rust is small patch  on the wiper blanking grommet.as an example there was a highline vr6 on here for sale not long ago and the rust on that was terrible for a 10yr old car..
« Last Edit: 24 March 2008, 13:45 by Dragon6 »

kells

« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2008, 15:33 »
^^^^dude i think its because the mk 3 was never as loved as the mk 2..

my 1993 mk 3 has absolutly no rust anywhere, and mine is the non galvernised one (early), but as you say, theirs some nasty condition ones around, but their is mk 2's as well, just not as many coz theirs not many mk 2's left!

i had a mk 2 valver in 1995, was great car but to be honest my mk 3 handles alot better...maybe because iv got a aftermarket set up where as the mk 2 was totally stadard

in my opinion neither the mk 2 16v, mk3 8v /16v nor the VR6 are amazingly quick anyway, so just go for what ever car you personally prefere, it really is as simple as that....

if the mk 2 was so good, whay are you on here asking people to make your mind up for you, coz thats what your doing.. :rolleyes:

Offline Dragon6

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2008, 16:03 »
Didnt realise I was asking people to make up my mind for me I have both examples because I like both mk`s they are both great cars for little outley of cash plus the wife uses one as a daily as well.What I was trying to say was I wouldnt be able to choose between the 2 taking all types of driving into consideration ie long journeys work having a blast car full of people  kids  etc plus long term reliability with the mk2 getting on a bit my VR has aftermarket suspenion on and handles fine whereas the mk2 is standard and handles great as it it.

kells

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2008, 16:12 »
Didnt realise I was asking people to make up my mind for me I have both examples because I like both mk`s they are both great cars for little outley of cash plus the wife uses one as a daily as well.What I was trying to say was I wouldnt be able to choose between the 2 taking all types of driving into consideration ie long journeys work having a blast car full of people  kids  etc plus long term reliability with the mk2 getting on a bit my VR has aftermarket suspenion on and handles fine whereas the mk2 is standard and handles great as it it.

dude i was refering to the guy who started the post

Offline Dragon6

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2008, 16:51 »
 :embarassed: