Author Topic: GEARSHIFT REPAIR KIT  (Read 767 times)

Offline TATS

• Not said much yet
GEARSHIFT REPAIR KIT
« on: 14 March 2008, 17:48 »
I've got loads of freeplay in my gearstick at the moment and was looking at solutions.
has anybody fitted a MK2 GTI linkage kit before, is this the answer to my problems?

does anyone know of a set of instructions for doing it and should i even contemplate doing it myself!!!

ttfn

tats
STOP IT, YER'LL GO BLIND TO YERSELF

Offline JimR

• GTI forum regular
Re: GEARSHIFT REPAIR KIT
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2008, 17:51 »
Mk2 GTi.

Offline Pimp_my_GTI

• Just got here
Re: GEARSHIFT REPAIR KIT
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2008, 23:43 »
Yes I've fitted loads. It's dead simple, you might need the volkswagen tool to centralise the gearstick or you could use a second person to hold it in neutral. Undo the bracket at the end of the gearshift rod and slide off the bracket. Check for wear, those brackets do wear, I normally put them in a vice and bend them to match the new golf ball. Undo all rods and links and fit new bushes, even the plastic arms wear too. A common upgrade is to use the Mk3 weighted gearshift rod to work harder on the Synco mesh and help eliminate the 2nd gear crunch! Also there is a bush that is in gearshift housing under the exhaust mainfold, when that goes, this is causing the gearstick to wobble about too. To replace it you will need to remove the exhaust manifold, manifold heat shield and undo the bolts holding the gearshift into the cabin, then you get at the bush and slide it down the gearshift rod and fit a new one.

Hope that helps.

Chris